Pseuodlithos splitting - too much water ?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Trevor
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Pseuodlithos splitting - too much water ?

Post by Trevor »

A couple of my Pseudolithos cubiformis seedlings have developed splits. I'm guessing this could be due to too much water ?? Kind of thought they'd be more likely to turn to mush before they'd split though - has anyone else seen/experienced this ???
[attachment 4887 IMG_5108a.jpg]
Attachments
7QzoUGhvdG9zaG9wIDMuMAA4QklNA+0AAAAAABAASAAAAAEAAgBIAAAAAQACOEJJTQQNAAAAAAAEAAAAeDhCSU0D8wAAAAAACAAAAAAAAAAAOEJJTQQKAAAAAAABAAA4QklNJxAAAAAAAAoAAQAAAAAAAAACOEJJTQP1AAAAAABIAC9mZgABAGxmZgAGAAAAAAABAC9mZgABAKGZmgAGAAAAAAABADIAAAA
7QzoUGhvdG9zaG9wIDMuMAA4QklNA+0AAAAAABAASAAAAAEAAgBIAAAAAQACOEJJTQQNAAAAAAAEAAAAeDhCSU0D8wAAAAAACAAAAAAAAAAAOEJJTQQKAAAAAAABAAA4QklNJxAAAAAAAAoAAQAAAAAAAAACOEJJTQP1AAAAAABIAC9mZgABAGxmZgAGAAAAAAABAC9mZgABAKGZmgAGAAAAAAABADIAAAA (29.28 KiB) Viewed 1477 times
Trevor
With a 'Downunder' collection of Cacti and Succulents in Melbourne, Australia.
Trevor
BCSS Member

Re: Pseuodlithos splitting - too much water ?

Post by Trevor »

Another one.... Strangely enough only the cubiformis are suffering - my other Pseudo's look fine....
[attachment 4888 IMG_5106a.jpg]
Attachments
7QmQUGhvdG9zaG9wIDMuMAA4QklNA+0AAAAAABAASAAAAAEAAgBIAAAAAQACOEJJTQQNAAAAAAAEAAAAeDhCSU0D8wAAAAAACAAAAAAAAAAAOEJJTQQKAAAAAAABAAA4QklNJxAAAAAAAAoAAQAAAAAAAAACOEJJTQP1AAAAAABIAC9mZgABAGxmZgAGAAAAAAABAC9mZgABAKGZmgAGAAAAAAABADIAAAA
7QmQUGhvdG9zaG9wIDMuMAA4QklNA+0AAAAAABAASAAAAAEAAgBIAAAAAQACOEJJTQQNAAAAAAAEAAAAeDhCSU0D8wAAAAAACAAAAAAAAAAAOEJJTQQKAAAAAAABAAA4QklNJxAAAAAAAAoAAQAAAAAAAAACOEJJTQP1AAAAAABIAC9mZgABAGxmZgAGAAAAAAABAC9mZgABAKGZmgAGAAAAAAABADIAAAA (21.66 KiB) Viewed 1477 times
Trevor
With a 'Downunder' collection of Cacti and Succulents in Melbourne, Australia.
Karen-L
Registered Guest

Post by Karen-L »

my mamm carmine has a split in it just about like that on your plant, and mine generally looks swollen up, it must be too much water. :shift:
Joined BCSS Southport Branch January 2008
Milanovi
Registered Guest

Post by Milanovi »

The real problem is that the smallest scratch on their body can lead to bacterial desiase, since the don't have any natural resistance to bacterial infection because they live in quite sterile enivronment in nature. I hope that this not the case here.
Julie
Registered Guest
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Julie »

Poor little pseudos. Hope they'll be ok!

Do they shed layers like Lithops, or will that skin be part of the adult skin?

If it were a lithops or similar, I'd brush some sulphur into the split.

Does anyone know if that would harm a Pseudo? ???
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Milanovi
Registered Guest

Post by Milanovi »

They don't shed layers...but to disinfect the split with sulfur is an interesting idea.
stevepj
Registered Guest

Post by stevepj »

Are these you first P.cubiformis Trevor? If so you're in for a treat when they flower (if they get that far).:gl: They stink!!! I had one in an upstairs bedroom and you could smell it downstairs.(td)

Steve:brk:
Julie
Registered Guest

Post by Julie »

Hehe, Trevor's nose is toughened by many years of Stapeliads. :)
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

[size=medium]Hi Trevor

Could you treat with some fungicide powder & seal the split with nail varnish, maybe one plant as a test ( no particular colour::o of course).
I have used this with on the left over stumps from regrafting & when they resprout the offset easily lifts/breaks thru.
My theory was it reduced water loss & seems to work quite well for me.

I know this is also sometimes used to seal cuts on Euphorbia's
[/size]
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.