There's more....

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Diane
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

There's more....

Post by Diane »

Another case of Haworthia variegate mania. I grew these two H. pygmaea var argenteo-maculosa from Haworthia soc. seed nine years ago. On the left is a normal coloured one, but the one on the right looks like a chimeral variegate. Junior at the bottom, is the product of the two, at four years old, but looks like the normal dad/mum.
[attachment 4892 IMG_0405Small.JPG]
Attachments
2mHBAABAAAAGAEAAAGkAwABAAAAAAAAAAKkAwABAAA
2mHBAABAAAAGAEAAAGkAwABAAAAAAAAAAKkAwABAAA (48.88 KiB) Viewed 1436 times
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
Diane
BCSS Member

Re: There's more....

Post by Diane »

....and here's a close up view....
[attachment 4894 IMG_0406Small.JPG]
Attachments
AAAABMCAwABAAAAAQAAAAEQAwABAAAAAAgAAAIQAwABAAAAAAYAAGmHBAABAAAAGAEAAAGkAwABAAAAAAAAAAKkAwABAAA
AAAABMCAwABAAAAAQAAAAEQAwABAAAAAAgAAAIQAwABAAAAAAYAAGmHBAABAAAAGAEAAAGkAwABAAAAAAAAAAKkAwABAAA (48.33 KiB) Viewed 1436 times

Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Hi Diane

Thats very strange looking, to me it looks sort of bleached.
Have you thought of crossing junior back with the light one ?.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Diane
BCSS Member

Post by Diane »

Hi, Tina, yes it does look a bit anaemic, did so from germination. There is a very good article in Gordon Rowley's "Teratopia" about chimeral variegation (this book is a MUST for anyone who likes variegation and all the other kinds of weirdos). I am crossing the parents again, junior is starting to come into flower, and if the other two are still in flower, will back cross to them.

Cheers, Diane

Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Hi Diane

yes I have Teratopia but I don't really enjoy it as much as I thought I would & find it a bit vague on facts, just ruminations sort of.

Perhaps I need to drag it out again & have another read.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.