What's your Seed Raising Methodology ?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Julie
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: What's your Seed Raising Methodology ?

Post by Julie »

Baby cacti : 2 parts sifted grit sand and 1 part sifted JI2
Baby obesa : other way around.
Avonia : 4 grit to 1 JI2.

Water the dry mix with rainwater, microwave and cool.
When cool, in with the seeds (forbies buried to 5mm or so, small cactus seeds on the top), spray on chinosol solution, then a layer of dry clean sand, and some more chinosol solution to wet it all. More sand for larger seeds and none for tinies, eg. Avonia.

Into the baggie, and keep an eye out for mould and the top layer drying out. If it does, I add sterile rainwater with a dropper.

Opuntia are in a wet paper towel in a bag, and a spraying of chinosol. I change the towel every month or so as it goes a bit smelly.

When big enough to handle they will go into standard cactus/mesemb mix. If I pot them up when they have only just germinated, they don't always come up so I leave them in the paper until they are about 1-2cm long.

They will all go on the windowsill unless the sun is directly on them. Obesa, Avonia and Gymno amerhauseri which is a shade lover, get put the other side of the curtain in the shade, Opuntia, mamms and notos take their chances behind the forby shades (stick-on car window sun shades).

No propagator. :) Sowing in early May.
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

How are the Avonia babies coming along?
Cheshire, UK

Post by Guest »

As an adjunct to Ianns comments above re growing them on, I had a strange experince with Stapeliad seedlings this year that hasn't happened before.They germinated fine and grew on well and needed pricking out (which always gets them going) but afterwards many of them dried at the junction between the stem and the root. The top portions were healthy but the roots had had it. Even though they were seedlings I have managed to re root some but others like Edithcolea were done for. Anybody else had this happen? I did nothing different from my usual practice for many years past.

Mike.
Julie
Registered Guest

Post by Julie »

Ian, they are getting little snakey leaves now. And the ones which had fallen over have turned the right way up. The caudex is a distinctly different colour from the cotys, now a bit browny rather than green.

Here they be. Not the best pic but you can see their proper leaves.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y225/v ... 2-7-07.jpg
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Maria J »

Ah yes! I recognise that 'mohican' stage! (:D
Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!
Trevor
BCSS Member

Post by Trevor »

Thanks all for the input, seems everyone has very similar methods, but with slight differences. Here's what I've been doing -
Sowing starts in Autumn-Winter to give the seedlings a full growing year before they have to face the colder weather on their own.
Mix is equal parts seed raising mix, perlite, propagating sand and vermiculite. All sieved to get rid of the bigger bits. Sterilised by cooking in the oven for about an hour at 200Deg.
One thing I have been doing lately is filling the bottom half of the pot with my normal adult plant mix (sterilised). This means I use less seedling mix and I figure it may help the seedlings when I pot them on as they already have the "taste" for my normal mix. Also stops the fine seedling mix running out the pot holes !! Pots are soaked in "Fongarid" fungicide after sowing.
No baggies for me - I don't think I could resist opening them as I love to see how things are going :cac4:
The propagator is run on a 11-12 hour light cycle and kept at just over 25 Deg during the day but allowed to drop of an night. Depending on the ambient temp it probably gets down to 17 odd Deg. Pots are misted most mornings and occasionally in the evening. Occasionally sprayed with fungicide or weak fertilizer.
After a month or so I like to get the seedlings out of the very humid close quarters to something a bit more open, but still with some increased humidity.
If nothing has come up in a pot, I'll put it aside and let it dry out for a few weeks. Depending on what type of species it is it may get another go around in the propagator at a later stage...This has worked for the tougher Mammillarias - theresae and luethyi..
Trevor
With a 'Downunder' collection of Cacti and Succulents in Melbourne, Australia.