ITIS

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Vic
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Seed Purchaser

ITIS

Post by Vic »

Just came across this website http://www.itis.gov/index.html, you can enter a genus name in the search box to get a list of species and then at the bottom of the page if you click on 'Search off-site resources' there's links to further sites/info, the NBII site is very good with photos etc.
Bill
Branch: None

Re: ITIS

Post by Bill »

Interesting, but unless I am using it wrong, not very complete, only one Astrophytum, no Haworthia/Gasteria

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

I'm not that impressed by the site as it stands. It does not recognise Echinopsis, Eriosyce or Copiapoa. For genera that it does (I searched for Mammillaria) the list is far from complete (it has no accepted Mammilaria species beginning with 'a'). It treats as 'accepted' taxa at a variety level rather than subspecies which seems to be preferred currently. I investigated Mammillaria wrightii further; the NBII link was to a defunct version of the site and I had to search the redirected site myself and it turned up no pictures.

It's a nice idea and could be useful when many more data have been added.

Not quite the same but a similar site for checking names (published names; it makes no judgements about whether it's the currently preferred name, merely whether it has been published properly) is the International Plant Names Index which is backed up by records from Kew, and herbaria in USA (Harvard) and Australia. I find this a very useful site on occasions and is well worth being aware of.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Vic
Registered Guest
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Seed Purchaser

Post by Vic »

I was particularly researching Escobarias and found a lot of info plus pics, perhaps not so good then for other genera.