strange marks

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
B.A.
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: CORNWALL

strange marks

Post by B.A. »

Found these markings on some feros today suspect they might be scorch or something likewhat was mentioned in the chamaelon cactus post ,any ideas please ? if it is scorch how badly does effect the plant.?
[attachment 5602 cs119Small.jpg]
Attachments
AAAACgBAwABAAAAAgCrcDEBAgAnAAAABAEAADIBAgAUAAAALAEAABMCAwABAAAAAgBobZiCAgAFAAAAQAEAAGmHBAABAAAARgEAAAGkAwABAAAAAAAVEgKkAwABAAA
AAAACgBAwABAAAAAgCrcDEBAgAnAAAABAEAADIBAgAUAAAALAEAABMCAwABAAAAAgBobZiCAgAFAAAAQAEAAGmHBAABAAAARgEAAAGkAwABAAAAAAAVEgKkAwABAAA (47.26 KiB) Viewed 1314 times
Bruce
North Essex

B.A.
BCSS Member

Re: strange marks

Post by B.A. »

[attachment 5603 cs120Small.jpg]
Attachments
AAAACgBAwABAAAAAgCrcDEBAgAnAAAABAEAADIBAgAUAAAALAEAABMCAwABAAAAAgBobZiCAgAFAAAAQAEAAGmHBAABAAAARgEAAAGkAwABAAAAAAAVEgKkAwABAAA
AAAACgBAwABAAAAAgCrcDEBAgAnAAAABAEAADIBAgAUAAAALAEAABMCAwABAAAAAgBobZiCAgAFAAAAQAEAAGmHBAABAAAARgEAAAGkAwABAAAAAAAVEgKkAwABAAA (68.43 KiB) Viewed 1314 times
Bruce
North Essex

B.A.
BCSS Member

Post by B.A. »

[attachment 5604 cs121Small.jpg]
Attachments
AAAACgBAwABAAAAAgCrcDEBAgAnAAAABAEAADIBAgAUAAAALAEAABMCAwABAAAAAgBobZiCAgAFAAAAQAEAAGmHBAABAAAARgEAAAGkAwABAAAAAAAVEgKkAwABAAA (73.28 KiB) Viewed 1314 times
Bruce
North Essex

Vic
Registered Guest
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Seed Purchaser

Post by Vic »

The plant in the 2nd pic Bruce just looks like it's affected in the same way as in the chamaeleon thread. In the last pic is that tubercle back right really so white?
David_L
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by David_L »

I'm not an expert on Ferocacti, but that does look like scorch especially on the two lower pictures. The last plant looks as though it might have been quite badly affected with one tubercle drying off completely.
David

Bromley Branch
Mainly small Cacti + a few Mesembs.
B.A.
BCSS Member

Post by B.A. »

Vic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The plant in the 2nd pic Bruce just looks like
> it's affected in the same way as in the chamaeleon
> thread. In the last pic is that tubercle back
> right really so white?

Whiter Vic it covers about half the tubercle then gos into the red
Bruce
North Essex

Vic
Registered Guest

Post by Vic »

Yes I'd say scorch Bruce, I'm surprised as we haven't had that much intense sun. Haven't had a Fero scorch before, have you sprayed it with something during warm sunny weather? Have you got glass or polycarb?
B.A.
BCSS Member

Post by B.A. »

Vic ,i put up a new gh at easter,very hot here, and crammed all my plants in to my old poly carb gh , which was shaded but not alot of ventilation which i now know is very important. Do you think they will recover?
Bruce
North Essex

Vic
Registered Guest

Post by Vic »

Yes Bruce ventilation is a good point. I think they'll be ok, the bad damage will always be evident but as the plant/s get bigger it will become less visible. Feros tend to get quite corky lower down anyway so it won't be that noticeable eventually. Just got to make sure they're either shaded during very hot sunny weather or well ventilated ideally with a fan and maybe even both if we ever get a summer like last year when temps got to at least 50C in the ghouse on a few days.
B.A.
BCSS Member

Post by B.A. »

Thanks Vic had some half size glass panels cut for new gh and also electrics put on so hopefully will get ventilation sorted.Bet you didnt spend much time in the gh when at 50c.
Thanks also David.
Bruce
North Essex