I do rescues too :)

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
iann
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

I do rescues too :)

Post by iann »

The Oreocereus twins freshly liberated from tiny balls of peat, luckily very dry balls of peat. I parted with 99p so that they would have a chance at a better life. I know, but some things are just more important than money.
[img]http://www.thegardengalleries.org/d/200 ... ereus1.jpg[/img]
Cheshire, UK
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Re: I do rescues too :)

Post by DaveW »

One looks like O. celsianus and the other like O. trollii if they were both planted togther?

DaveW
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
Roger
Registered Guest

Post by Roger »

They do indeed look like a celsianus and a trollii very nice plants 99p for both sounds like a bargain to me
[IMG]http://i582.photobucket.com/albums/ss26 ... CT0116.jpg[/IMG]
Roger Brown
Grimsby Branch
Hates all things pink and powdery. I may aswell just admit it... I love everything C+S!
iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

No labels obviously, but I agree with the IDs.
Cheshire, UK
Jez
BCSS Member

Post by Jez »

They look healthy enough!

Now, how fast will they grow - I have a 30 y/o trollii that has managed 3 stems, the biggest of which is just over a foot high...... not such great progress, but the poor thing had to tolerate some pretty poor treatment for about a third of this time in my dad's unheated, under-ventilated greenhouse. At least I know it is hardy!

I can never resist looking at the cacti etc. when I go to homebase/B&Q etc. as I never know what "treasures" will be there hidden among the ailing plants - last year I picked up a lophophora that was about 1+1/2 inches across.....

Good luck with these guys Iann,

Jez
Jez

NCSS/BCSS member intermittently since c 1978
Forum member from 08/2006
Collection of mostly smaller cacti and succulents (space limited!) including a variety of caudiciforms..... and I've lots to learn about looking after them.
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Maria J »

They're great Ian!! What a bargain, especially like the trollii (tu)
Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!
iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

Oreocereus seem to grow pretty fast if you treat them well. One of them never gets very tall, I think its E. trollii without hitting the books, and the other one will outgrow most greenhouses. I've seen some really fat E. trolii plants in collections, only a couple of feet tall and hardly looking like a columnar they are so wide.

I've never seen a Lophophora at B&Q but its hard to resist going and having a look whenever I see a little table of pokeys in a shop. Sometimes they have Lithops ;)
Cheshire, UK
Jez
BCSS Member

Post by Jez »

Hmmm... methinks a repot and better tlc for my Oreo are in order!

As long as the lithops are not long....

I often wonder about what regime commercial nurseries use that allows them to use the pearty composts. The plants are often a bit on the well fed side, but are usually healthy as long as they have not been in the garden centre for too long.

Jez
Jez

NCSS/BCSS member intermittently since c 1978
Forum member from 08/2006
Collection of mostly smaller cacti and succulents (space limited!) including a variety of caudiciforms..... and I've lots to learn about looking after them.
saxocactus
Registered Guest

Post by saxocactus »

Going to some shops is alwasy good for a laugh - you wouldn't believe some of the names that plants are given. I have a very nice 'Tigers Jaws' plant which was labelled 'Lithops'.
Not quite so new to cacti now - greenhouse up and running - a cactoholic is born!! Visits welcome - just get in touch.
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

I remember a few years ago one of the well known plant firms decided the Latin names would not sell cacti to the general public so decided to give them popular names. However their newly dreamt up name "Mexican Firecracker" was assigned to a S. American cactus!

DaveW
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.