Cereusly, does anyone know what this is?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Nick
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: EDINBURGH
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Cereusly, does anyone know what this is?

Post by Nick »

Heres another one from Edith Lauries sale. The top 18" or so of a 5 foot specimen. The flower was a beaut, lasting about 4 days. Little odour - certainly nothing unpleasant!
Any ideas??
Nick
[attachment 6372 P1000191.JPG]
Attachments
P1000191.JPG
P1000191.JPG (42.14 KiB) Viewed 1570 times
Nick
BCSS Member

Re: Cereusly, does anyone know what this is?

Post by Nick »

and in plan view......
[attachment 6373 P1000192.JPG]
Attachments
4TKIRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA8BAgAKAAAAkgAAABABAgAIAAAAngAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAApgAAABsBBQABAAAArgAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAKAAAAtgAAADIBAgAUAAAAwgAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAApgEAAKXEBwDQAAAA1gAAACIbAABQYW5hc29uaWMAAABETUMtTFMyAEgAAAABAAAASAAAAAE
4TKIRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA8BAgAKAAAAkgAAABABAgAIAAAAngAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAApgAAABsBBQABAAAArgAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAKAAAAtgAAADIBAgAUAAAAwgAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAApgEAAKXEBwDQAAAA1gAAACIbAABQYW5hc29uaWMAAABETUMtTFMyAEgAAAABAAAASAAAAAE (28.09 KiB) Viewed 1570 times
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

Looks like one of the Chilean Trichocereus. Can't remember the name now offhand without looking it up.

DaveW
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
Nick
BCSS Member

Post by Nick »

Thanks for the genus pointer Dave. A bit of googling and the best fit appears to me to be....

Tricho nigripilus
NickT
Registered Guest

Post by NickT »

flowers look right. this was my Trichocereus Rubringhianus last year. It's not that one though as it has short spines and is only just over a foot tall

[IMG]http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p175 ... 1e6re2.jpg[/IMG]
Nick T
Warwickshire

A lot of all sorts
SpongeBob
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by SpongeBob »

Hi Nick,

When I first glanced at the pic I immediately thought it was Echinopsis fulvilana, also known as Trichocereus fulvilanus or Echinopsis deserticola. If you want I will post a pic of mine although it is only a few years old.
Graham

South East Scotland
14x8 and 10x8
Mainly Cacti
BCSS 49029

Any of my Photographs can be copied for personal use. If you want a copy of the full size image, just send a PM.
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

Graham,

That was the name I was trying to remember. I used to have one years ago when Winters first put out the seed. T. fulvilanus flowered first for me about 18" high. I think it has been submerged in one of the other Chilean species now.

DaveW
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
SpongeBob
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by SpongeBob »

Here's the pic. This one is only a few years old and has a long way to go before I see a flower but I bought it for the lovely spines.

[attachment 6381 Echinop.jpg]
Attachments
4SY2RXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAKAA8BAgAGAAAAhgAAABABAgAVAAAAjAAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAogAAABsBBQABAAAAqgAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgApAAAAsgAAADIBAgAVAAAA3AAAABMCAwABAAAAAQAAAGmHBAABAAAA8gAAACgEAABDYW5vbgBDYW5vbiBQb3dlclNob3QgQTYyMAAAtAAAAAEAAAC0AAAAAQAAAFB
4SY2RXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAKAA8BAgAGAAAAhgAAABABAgAVAAAAjAAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAogAAABsBBQABAAAAqgAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgApAAAAsgAAADIBAgAVAAAA3AAAABMCAwABAAAAAQAAAGmHBAABAAAA8gAAACgEAABDYW5vbgBDYW5vbiBQb3dlclNob3QgQTYyMAAAtAAAAAEAAAC0AAAAAQAAAFB (97.56 KiB) Viewed 1570 times
Graham

South East Scotland
14x8 and 10x8
Mainly Cacti
BCSS 49029

Any of my Photographs can be copied for personal use. If you want a copy of the full size image, just send a PM.