Ferro's

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Vic
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Seed Purchaser

Re: Ferro's

Post by Vic »

Cheers Stephen!
NickT
Registered Guest

Post by NickT »

Look good Stephen, shame how you had to aquire them but at least the've gon to a good home.

I've been trying to take cuttings of Vics all afternoon but he kept coming in just as I was getting the Secateurs out LOL! I fear I'm going to have a long wait before mine are anywhere near that size
Nick T
Warwickshire

A lot of all sorts
Vic
Registered Guest

Post by Vic »

Secateurs are no good Nick you'd need a chainsaw with mine!!:D
B.A.
BCSS Member
Branch: CORNWALL

Post by B.A. »

very nice Stephen,on marcodiscus the base of the plant looks almost crumpled and lighter in colour with a brown tinge ive noticed this on some of my feros,do you know if this is common to this species.
Acanthodes looks superb (tu)
Bruce
North Essex

Vic
Registered Guest

Post by Vic »

A lot of Feros and some other cacti get this Bruce, think it's just generally regarded as corking which they tend to get with age and is perfectly normal. I've noticed my large herrerae is quite wrinkled/crumpled for the last few inches near the base but hasn't gone brown as yet, it may be caused by lack of water and perhaps it would like a more frequent soaking. Another thought for the cause of the browning maybe due to how it's been potted up in the past, some plants I receive have the base quite deeply potted and the tissue below soil level is generally a brownish colour whereas I prefer to have as much of the plant body above soil level and then top off with grit.
B.A.
BCSS Member
Branch: CORNWALL

Post by B.A. »

Thanks Vic , thats good to know,i was a bit worried about rot.:D
Bruce
North Essex

Cactus Jack
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHERN IRELAND
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by Cactus Jack »

Thats what i was thinkin Vic, and was also hopeing it wasn't to much water :shift:
Stephen.. Bangor. N. Ireland.
Vic
Registered Guest

Post by Vic »

No certainly not rot Bruce & Stephen although I can understand why you thought that.