Ario's

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Cactus Jack
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTHERN IRELAND
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Ario's

Post by Cactus Jack »

Can anyone recomend a good source for Ario's , size not overly important but not at e-bay prices ??
Stephen.. Bangor. N. Ireland.
Stuart Estell
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Ario's

Post by Stuart Estell »

I've some nice smallish ones bought from Plantlife at shows over the years.

I had a very good young (1cm across) Ario Kotschoubeyanus from Westfield a year or so ago, and it was quite cheap - only 1.75 or 2 quid from memory - but they don't seem to have any now, so that's probably not much help ;).
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Watch out for David Quail, David Rushforth, or Alan Phipps at shows or giving branch talks, they generally have some Arios for sale. Also John Henshaw at Croston Cactus has a few species grown from seed.
Cheshire, UK
Chris in Leeds
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Chris in Leeds »

Hi Stephen
you could try David Quail's website http://www.aristocacti.co.uk/
I have been to his greenhouse and he has some lovely Arios
Chris
BCSS MEMBER SINCE 2000 (NATIONAL SHOW)
FORUM MEMBER SINCE JUNE 2006
Interested in - TURBINICARPUS (Always looking for plants I don't have)
TEPHROCACTUS AND RELATED SPECIES
http://www.leeds.bcss.org.uk/ http://www.zone3.bcss.org.uk/
Bill
Branch: None

Post by Bill »

Hi Stephen

You could always ask one of us going to ELK to see what we can pick up for you.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Cactus Jack
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHERN IRELAND
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by Cactus Jack »

Hi All thanks for your help :)
Stephen.. Bangor. N. Ireland.
matchat
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by matchat »

I'll second David Quail, he once gave a talk at our branch and I came away with a few of his excellently grown plants, most of which have flowered since then I think.
Jez
BCSS Member

Post by Jez »

Stephen,

I'd like to add something here positive about e-bay..... which is where I have bought most of my Arios.. They are not cheap - not surprisingly since they take a long time to grow. Many of the Arios. on E-bay are bigger plants, but if you are careful (which I freely admit I am not always) you can get a medium size plant for a price which, in terms of pounds per year, is a bargain. Very large plants often fetch a big price, but if you bid for medium size (but mature) plants you can often get a plant for a reasonable price. I have found a number of German sellers whose plants sell reasonably and the postage is not always much more than within the UK.

I steer clear of many really large/old Arios on E-bay (in fact there are a couple on offer at the moment) as they are clearly, of not advertised as, habitat collected. Sometimes this is from before it was generally recognised that this was bad thing, but at least one current seller seems to glorify in the fact that the plant was collected by them.
Jez

NCSS/BCSS member intermittently since c 1978
Forum member from 08/2006
Collection of mostly smaller cacti and succulents (space limited!) including a variety of caudiciforms..... and I've lots to learn about looking after them.
Vic
Registered Guest
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Seed Purchaser

Post by Vic »

Hi Stephen,

Yes as Bill says ELK's the place, I don't mind having a look if you let me know what species and prices you like to pay - no problem, a lot of the plants tend to be grafted. There was a Czech seller last year who had a load of bare rooted Arios from around 5 euros a piece. I'll see what I can find.
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Maria J »

I was very lucky, as like Jez, I got a 7 year old A. kotschoubeyanus from eBay for ? 5.50 P&P included.
Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!