Forum Software Update  Solved

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Admin & Mods
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

Forum Software Update  Solved

Post by Admin & Mods »

The reason for the forum being offline last night was to have a dry run of transfering the Phorum database to new software, this I am pleased to say was reasonably succesfull.

1. All the forums transfered correctly
2. All the messages transfered correctly.
3. all user details including post counts and joining date transfered correctly.
4. Linked images, markup and smilies in the threads appeared as text
5. Embedded (attachments) Images were not transfered although the database table was.
6. All users are inactive and and have no permissions.

4 is not a major problem just a pain, to correct each post with them in is simply a matter of clicking edit and then submit without doing anything. Users will be able to edit thier own posts to achieve this.

5 this is a bigger problem and could mean ::o manually reinstalling 20,000 images unless I can find an script or something that will do it automaticaly, so this may be an ongoing job but we will retain the existing forum as a read only archive in the meantime so nothing will be lost.

6 Again this is just a pain the proverbial, just a matter of going through the database change the user settings and then setting the forum permissions.

The new forum will be a step forward, it has a fairly modern clean look and some of you may not like it, some things we can tweak so let us know, it will have many of the features some of you have been asking for and offers much more, (I am at present looking at a Wikki). It will also give a clue as to the future look of the main website and gallery (which it is planned will share a common logon with the forum, as will some new member only content).

When we do the change over (which will be soon), we may be offline for up to 24 hrs and there are bound to be teething problems once we are back online so please bear with us.