6 Foot plus cactus to give away.

New members, please take the time to introduce yourself and your collection.
BUTTS
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

6 Foot plus cactus to give away.

Post by BUTTS »

Hi folks,
As a kid back in about 1969, I bought a very small cactus from a nursery. This thing for the past forty years has grown and grown in my mothers greenhouse and is now about six foot plus. Yesterday myself and my brother had to move this thing as the greenhouse is being demolished. We have children playing in the garden and the spikes on this thing are about six inches long so it's now laid down unfortunately as it is to large for the pot and is unstable. What variety it is I do not know? Does anybody out there want it? I am in the Cleethorpes area. You will obviously have to pick it up yourself. It seems criminal I know, but if there are no takers, I may well have to chop it up.

Keith.
Aiko
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: 6 Foot plus cactus to give away.

Post by Aiko »

BUTTS wrote:It seems criminal I know, but if there are no takers, I may well have to chop it up.
Can I at least propose the idea of putting the plant on the street, with a note attached saying something like "Free to take home for anyone who will take well care of me". I am sure it will be gone within the hour. At least the plant will live, if no one else is willing to pick it up.
Bill

Post by Bill »

Keith a picture would be very helpful and cutting it up isn't as bad an idea as you think.

Bill
sue46
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by sue46 »

I wouldn't put it in the street - some silly person would take it and just leave it to rot somewhere! How about taking cuttings from it - if it can be done.
AnTTun
BCSS Member

Post by AnTTun »

As Bill said, picture would help.
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
BUTTS

Post by BUTTS »

Thanks folks. I think putting it in the street for collection may be a little risky, like it's nearly a lethal weapon with those spikes and the shear size of the plant. It does seem that it isn't worth anything to anybody, but I might see if our local garden centre want it. Other then that, sadly it's for the chop. Thanks again!

Keith.
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Post by Paul in Essex »

Depending upon what it is I may travel to Cleethorpes to collect it - some pictures, please!
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.