New greenhouse

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Acid John
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

New greenhouse

Post by Acid John »

I am going to get this one http://www.ukgreenhousesales.co.uk/Gree ... nhouse.htm and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with it? I know someone who could build me a strong retaining wall so it could be buried in the ground thus saving some heating costs in winter. I will just add that I've reached that age where bending down to look at a plant under the staging is dangerous for my health! Any thoughts however forthright are most welcome.
Acid John
Lithos
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Re: New greenhouse

Post by Lithos »

No experience with it Acid John. Just pure jelousy - on behalf of us window ledge growers. with dylexiia
Martin
BCSS Member
Branch: OXFORD
Role within the BCSS: Vice-Chairman

Post by Martin »

Not this model but I have their 20 by 10 ft supreme in green with partition and it's a great greenhouse

M
Martin
Northern Hampshire
Secretary Oxford Branch
'Thelocactus' National Plant Collection
lobman
Branch: DARTFORD
Role within the BCSS: Journal Team

Post by lobman »

If by " buried in the ground " you mean one side against a bank , I would certainly recommend a good damp proof membrane in order to keep the brickwork as dry as possible in the winter
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

Hi Acid John, I have the 18ft X 12'-6" wide version of that drop down door Elite on 3'-0" high walls (without the spikes on the roof!) and am very pleased with it. My only gripe as I am 5'-11" tall was the doors (around 6'-0" high) are a little too low (normal domestic doors are mostly 6'-6" high) so I used to bang my head as I stepped over the door sill if I did not remember to duck, that was until I raised the door sill up on a course of bricks, which solved my problem and it is no problem stepping over for me as you have to step over greenhouse bottom sliding door tracks anyway.

I too did not want to bend for low stagings and I found glass below staging height not much use anyway so mine is on 3'-0" high concrete block walls (cheaper than brickwork if you are burying it anyway) and my stagings too are 3'-0" high. You really only need to build the walls the same height as you want the top of the stagings, the drop down door frame is adjustable for any wall height from zero to 3'-0" high

Depends if you are erecting it yourself, if so being raised up to around 8'-0"-9'-0" to the ridge and 18'-0"-20'-0" long you will find you need two people to handle the frames, which at 18'-0" to 20'-0" are pretty floppy until joined at the corners. If like mine it comes as a self assembly job simply comprising many lengths of aluminium and a bag of bolts for ease of transport, not ready made up sections like small greenhouses, you need a flat area to bolt them together on. You may also find it handy to hire a tower scaffold to fit the ridge and glaze the top glasses from inside (I borrowed a friends being at that time in the building trade).

Elite gave me a glazing plan with all the glass cuts and quantities so I got a quote for the horticultural glass from my local glass merchant which was significantly cheaper than Elite was charging for it. Therefore I just ordered the aluminium frame from Elite and bought the horticultural glass locally to their glazing plan and that saving paid for automatic roof vent openers etc.

As Lobman says if you are burying the walls you will need to to prevent water leaking through with some form of membrane (heavyweight polythene obtainable at most builders merchants) just as you would a cellar in a house.

One thing you will need is automatic vent openers for the roof vents since they are then too high for you to normally open by hand. I also ordered automatic louvre windows on the side for ventilation. The normal auto-vents from garden centres are OK.

Another thing I would recommend is sealing any potential water leakage gaps in any aluminium greenhouse with clear silicon sealant as you assemble it. So much easier than having to stop a slight water leak later since I have yet to come across an aluminium greenhouse where some gaps in the structure are not evident, whether they actually leak or not in use or only in water driven gale conditions, and our plants are not water tolerant in winter

Anyway good luck, I have been very satisfied with mine.

DaveW
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Paul in Essex »

Another option - I have a 'regular' 20x12 built onto a 3ft wall with a drop door access. This gives extra headroom, should you wish to grow columnars...
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
Acid John
BCSS Member

Post by Acid John »

Thank you all for the replies I will get on with supervising the construction. This is mar lady on site yesterday driving a three tonne dumper truck!
3ton dumper (Large).jpg
Acid John
Sue
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Sue »

Hope you've got a degree in meccano John :lol:
Sue
Stoke on Trent

Acid John
BCSS Member

Post by Acid John »

Sue everything always starts out trapezoid then a lot of shouting at it straightens things out!
Last edited by Acid John on Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Acid John
Peter
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Peter »

That's a useful item for shifting stuff about. Acid John - and so's the dumper truck!