Mammillaria Society Annual Meeting at RHS Wisley

Post details of any upcoming events, meets or newsworthy stories about our hobby.
Chris43
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Mammillaria Society Annual Meeting at RHS Wisley

Post by Chris43 »

The Mammillaria Society will be holding its Annual Meeting on Saturday 26th May at the RHS Wisley.

The Hillside Centre will be our home during the day, which will start for visitors at about 10am, where there will be exhibits of Mammillarias, Escobarias, and Thelocacti, plus a general exhibit by BCSS Woking Branch. There will be plant and seed sales,and plenty of people to field your questions.

In the afternoon, there will be two talks, using some of the exhibit plants as their theme, on Thelocacti by Martin Doorbar (Thelocactus National Collection holder) and Chris Davies (Mammillaria National Collection holder). Refreshments will be available after he talks and discussion.

The Society will then hold its formal AGM towards the end of the afternoon for members.

All Mammillaria Society members (at least the first 50) will gain entry to the Gardens at no charge, and I have suggested on the Society subforum, that Forum members (an d other BCSS members) might like to organise to use the free entry (again up to 50) that comes with the BCSS affiliated membership of the RHS.

So make this Saturday a good one, enjoy the Gardens in late Spring, meet fellow Forumites, and see some interesting plants in our Exhibits!
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Mammillaria enthusiast
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html
AnTTun
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Mammillaria Society Annual Meeting at RHS Wisley

Post by AnTTun »

I wish I'm closer... have fun there :)
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
delandmo
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH SURREY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by delandmo »

Sadly unable to attend the Wisley AGM due to an arranged appointment before I knew the AGM date.Really gutted,Wisley just down the road from me. With regards to the affiliation of the BCSS to the RHS, are you able to access these gardens at any time or shows, such as Hampton Court or Chelsea for free,or only when we are exhibiting. Many years ago, as a young lad, I was able to attend the flower shows at Vincent Square, Westminster for free on showing my society membership. With Chelsea, at that time, the RHS issued the society some passes for members who wished to attend or was supervising our stand. I remember one year I was supervising we won Silver Gilt. The late Betty Maddams was fuming, she thought we deserved Gold. Hampton Court Flower Show hadn't been invented then! I would appreciate any feedback on the affiliation perks. Thanks Derek.
Chris43
BCSS Member
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Post by Chris43 »

Sorry you're not able to be there, Derek.

The Affiliate membership gives you (as the Society) a number of benefits, one fo the most important being acces sto low cost insurance, which the BCSS takes advantage of. It also allows you to hold an "event" on an annual basis at one of their locations, and free access on that day for up to 50 members. It also gives access to reduced rate tickets for their Shows, though I haven't investigated what levels of discount these offer. I think I should, as it might be an added benefit of membership of the Mammillaria Society.
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Mammillaria enthusiast
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html
delandmo
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH SURREY

Post by delandmo »

Chris, Thanks for the reply. If it attracts a reduced entry fee for shows e.g. Hampton Court Flower show, would we need to go on members only days or any day? A show I like to go to, as close by me and plenty of cacti for sale. My wife and I can also use our bus passes , train right up to Hampton Court station. Regards Derek.
Martin
BCSS Member
Branch: OXFORD
Role within the BCSS: Vice-Chairman

Post by Martin »

Just bumping to the top as this is next weekend !
Martin
Northern Hampshire
Secretary Oxford Branch
'Thelocactus' National Plant Collection
Pete A
Branch: READING & BASINGSTOKE
Role within the BCSS: Committee member

Post by Pete A »

I'll be there. Is anyone else from the forums going?
Zone 8 Representative (Birmingham, High Wycombe, Kingston-on-Thames, Oxford, Reading & Basingstoke, Woking).
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

Apologies this time, as I'd already said yes to the BCSS Bromley Annual Show.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)