Christchurch and Wellington Botanic Gardens

Habitat, nursery/collection and show tours.
el48tel
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Christchurch and Wellington Botanic Gardens

Post by el48tel »

Thanks for sharing the pictures.
I visited Christchurch in November 2008 and then again in November 2010 and was surprised to see the devastation and loss of some truly attractive buildings. But the losses which followed were upsetting especially with the loss of life. On both visits I had little time in Christchurch and had insufficient time to visit the Botanical Gardens. However, we flew to Wellington in 2008, with a visit to their Botanical Gardens planned. Our only disappointment was that the funicular railway was closed for maintenance for the few days we were there. To see cacti and succulents planted in beds in the open was fascinating, especially to a non-enthusiast at that time.
The Gardens in Auckland are worth a visit .... especially to see the giant water lilies.
I'll try to look out some pictures when I'm back from my vacation.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

as promised
Pictures from antipodean botanic gardens
Apologies for the delay
aucklandDSC02829 -1.jpg
aucklandDSC02830.jpg
aucklandDSC02832.jpg
aucklandDSC02833.jpg
aucklandDSC02834.jpg
aucklandP1000494.jpg
rotarua.jpg
wellington DSCF1226.jpg
wellington DSCF1227.jpg
wellington DSCF1228.jpg
wellington DSCF1229.jpg
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

Very enjoyable pictures, thanks!
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

Thanks, Terry

Brings a few memories back. We didn't have enough time to get round the whole site, so didn't see the water lilies.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

There's a Rotarua shot in the stack too. Quite a few succulents in the gardens there .... not surprising with volcanic warmth close to the surface.
I can't find my Rangitoto shots with the mangrove and succulent escapees .... but I'll have another look.
We spent about 10 weeks there in total. So much so, I was looking seriously to move to Auckland.