Agave talk & pictures

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Re: Agave talk & pictures

Post by Herts Mike »

Anybody know what this is? I got it as guadalajarana but people who know say it isn’t.
0B24AA15-9032-449E-8C17-B777F3D337EA.jpeg
edds
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by edds »

It has a hint of palmeri 'Kutsugen No Mai Ogi' about it but I wouldn't be sure it wasn't guadalajarana looking at the photos on Agaveville. Were the people who told you it wasn't comparing it to what is usually seen in 'captivity'?
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Herts Mike
BCSS Member

Post by Herts Mike »

Well it was the Agaveville people who said it wasn’t.
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

They might be onto something then! If Gee and others who've studied them in the wild are saying that that is! (Though I'm still not sure the three utahensis seedlings I bought as eborispina are nevadensis as Gee said!)

Did they say what they thought it was?
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Herts Mike
BCSS Member

Post by Herts Mike »

Unfortunately no.
NorfolkExotics
Registered Guest
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Post by NorfolkExotics »

A few upcoming repotting projects that I’m very much looking forward to...

A. salmiana var. ferox. I’m confident this one is the real thing so I should probably stop neglecting it. It got through the beast from the east in my unheated greenhouse fine but I don’t want to test it any further owing to its reputed lack of cold hardiness.
E423464D-3E3A-4F56-BFF9-EB6E92D43F59.jpeg

I’ve had this labelled as ferox for years but thinking about it now it is probably ssp. crassispina as it survived down to -5 and multiple days of sub-zero temperatures in 2009/10 undamaged. Again I have been a terrible parent by leaving it in the same pot for far too long :oops:
F3BA45E1-CC4B-4AA3-B24F-66365EF0CF8F.jpeg

A. ovatifolia, probably my favourite Agave at the moment. Not quite as overdue for repotting as the other two plants but I will hopefully get around to it in the near future. I will just have to remember to keep a phone handy to call an ambulance when I inevitably need it :lol:
9CC40C82-086F-4E69-B56E-5CD00A2D9D11.jpeg
Last edited by NorfolkExotics on Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Very nice -Beautiful ovatifolia, you can't even wear gardening gloves as I worry about damaging the plants even thought its me that's normally injured
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Post by Paul in Essex »

State of play today. Slow but steady progress.
IMG_20220507_101420.jpg
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Its like 'day of the triffids'
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Patrick
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET

Post by Patrick »

Looking good Paul. I've just chain sawed my two Americana that flowered last year and then put it all through a professional shredder. They are not easy to get rid of!
Patrick. Small varied collection of North American, Mexican and Andean Cacti. Variegated Agaves and Echeveria. Developing a succulent garden in Portugal. Joined Somerset BCSS and forum in 2007.