Agave talk & pictures

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Re: Agave talk & pictures

Post by Herts Mike »

Isn’t it just!
edds
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by edds »

Was just about to say I thought it'd be taller but then I forgot how big the rosette is! :duh:
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Fantastic (tu) , looks like it should be in Jurassic park not Pauls garden
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Patrick
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET

Post by Patrick »

really impressive
Patrick. Small varied collection of North American, Mexican and Andean Cacti. Variegated Agaves and Echeveria. Developing a succulent garden in Portugal. Joined Somerset BCSS and forum in 2007.
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

I can only echo the comments above.
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Post by Paul in Essex »

Thanks all! Although it is nothing to do wiith me, just the plant doing its thing :)
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
Patrick
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET

Post by Patrick »

Any idea what's going on here?

I got this from Tina in 2020 looking like this.
IMG_1554.jpeg
It has gone backwards ever since and now looks like this.
IMG_1062.jpeg
It's in shade, semi outside so it doesn't get too hot, nor does it get frost in winter. It permanently looks like it's about to burst through (there is a little strip of green underneath if you look carefully) but never does. It could be a magnificent plant. I didn't realise how far backward it had gone until I looked out the first pic!
Patrick. Small varied collection of North American, Mexican and Andean Cacti. Variegated Agaves and Echeveria. Developing a succulent garden in Portugal. Joined Somerset BCSS and forum in 2007.
NorfolkExotics
Registered Guest
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Post by NorfolkExotics »

Have you ever unpotted it to look what state the roots are in? If it doesn't have any living roots then the plant won't be able to absorb sufficent water and minerals which might explain why its regressing. I don't have any experience with Agave chazaroi (not very hardy here) but have had a couple of shrevei ssp. matapensis offsets go backwards similarly to your chazaroi. After getting sick of looking at them I took them out of their pots and there were no roots at all. I then put them back in the same pots with pure inorganic material for about a month and they sprouted numerous new roots. They are now back in my normal mixture for potted Agaves and are growing fine.

I would take it out of the pot and look at the root situation to see if that has anything to do with the issue. Of course I could be completely wrong though (it wouldn't be the first time :oops: ).
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Hi Patrick,
Poor little thing, sometimes they do just seem to hang around, not thriving or dying, I have an expensive variegated cubic thats been dithering for 3+ years.
Have you tried adding mycorrhiza fungi , I have also used 'gel to root' to give them a boost , its good for succulents as they will absorb thru the skin even if they have no roots.
You would think with your better growing conditions it would be romping away.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

Patrick wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:20 pm Any idea what's going on here?

I got this from Tina in 2020 looking like this.
IMG_1554.jpeg

It has gone backwards ever since and now looks like this.

IMG_1062.jpeg

It's in shade, semi outside so it doesn't get too hot, nor does it get frost in winter. It permanently looks like it's about to burst through (there is a little strip of green underneath if you look carefully) but never does. It could be a magnificent plant. I didn't realise how far backward it had gone until I looked out the first pic!
Patrick, sorry to make you feel bad, but here's a photo of my best A. chazaroi to show you what it should look like. BTW I've had this plant for over 10 years and initially it struggled a bit but now as you can see is a really handsome beast. :grin: The dark maroon margins contrasting the bright green leaves are very appealing.

tempImagePqWJx1.gif

As you can see this plant lives in the conservatory so winter temps never drop below 12 degrees, so it receives water all year round.
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University