Agave talk & pictures

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
HaoBao
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Agave talk & pictures

Post by HaoBao »

The tippex one is the agave victoriae-reginae himesanoyuki haha
Plant sales: www.CentralSucculents.etsy.com
Instagram: www.instagram.com/CentralSucculents
Reddit: www.reddit.com/u/CentralSucculents

All my plants are kept indoors and I started collecting in August 2018. Favourites are Pachyphytum, Echeveria, Haworthia, Mesembs and oddball Cacti.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

agave victoriae-reginae himesanoyuki
I do have a couple of these but as they are green they are a little bit neglected- such a bad parent
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

An old snap but they look nice, the plant bottom left is maybe 3x bigger.
3x agaves.jpg
agave bracteosa medio picta, getting to be one of my favourites, its such an odd little plant
bracteosa mp shadow 9_20.jpg
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

Love that bracteosa!
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

A friend calls it 'an expensive spider plant', its not common
Tina

Bucks, UK
NorfolkExotics
Registered Guest
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Post by NorfolkExotics »

At the possible risk of embarrassing myself, here are a few of my variegated Agaves:

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (100.29 KiB) Viewed 1349 times
A. VR 'White Rhino'/albomarginata (I have no way of telling what cultivar it actually is) and 'Kazo Bana'? Yes, I know these little guys can't hold a candle to some of the examples shown in this thread, so please don't laugh :oops:
I acquired them last year and will just have to wait a year (or 10...) for them to turn into anything meaningful. The 'Kazo Bana' (?) was a steal at only £5 owing to some damage (that it is now growing out of).

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (120.38 KiB) Viewed 1349 times
A. Potatorum 'Snowfall' has to be one of my favourites, even in its infancy. Better still, it has already started to pup :grin:

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (116.53 KiB) Viewed 1349 times
A. Weberi 'Arizona Star', fast growing into something very appealing.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (110.75 KiB) Viewed 1349 times
A. Salmiana 'Butterfingers'. It could really do with a repot, though it has yet to kick up any fuss about the way its father is treating it...

That Bracteosa is a great looking plant :grin: I have the 'Monterry Frost' form but have yet to see one with central variegation in the flesh. Out of interest, I wonder how hardy the variegated forms are in comparison to the standard plant?
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

Vic reg are great little plants, re White vic reg look fine, as long as edges are still pure white even in the winter its right. The snowfall looks suspect the leaves are the wrong shape could be blue winds, Stuart had some wrongly advertised once. I'll get a photo of mine, it may be the angle of course .
Butterfingers looks interesting, nice colour.

Here you go I had to go out in the snow for these picts :eek: .
Adult snowfall
snowfall 2021.jpg
young snowfall
snowfall baby2021.jpg
agave blue winds, its a smaller growing agave with more leaves than snowfall
blue winds.jpg
this is a nice one to get, filifera comtacta, a bit slow growing and can get sulky & lose leaves if not happy
filifera compacta 2021.jpg
Tina

Bucks, UK
NorfolkExotics
Registered Guest

Post by NorfolkExotics »

I'll change the label for my potatorum based on those photos. Thank you!

In the meantime, while the winter is (unfortunately) with us, I might as well post some photos I took last summer.

A. Parrasana.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (148.46 KiB) Viewed 1296 times

A. Ovatifolia. As one of my absolute favourite Agaves, I should probably get it a nice new pot (or better still, in the ground). Also note the natural colour variation exhibited by its younger counterpart on the left. I am dying to get hold of the variegated forms but I would need to win the lottery first... :roll:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (160.92 KiB) Viewed 1296 times

A group photo. The Gentryi 'Jaws' at the back scares me slightly because it is well overdue for a repot, yet won't stop growing. It is also not in any way close to its eventual size potential :shock: . I am not looking forwards to the unenviable prospect of repotting it.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (173.84 KiB) Viewed 1296 times

A. Asperrima (unsure of the variety).
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (165.23 KiB) Viewed 1296 times

My three bigger Victoria Regina. I think the one on the right is a tissue cultured variant, but again, I like the natural colour variation on the other two.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (184.19 KiB) Viewed 1296 times
NorfolkExotics
Registered Guest

Post by NorfolkExotics »

More photos:

A. 'Blue Brian' (images 1 & 2), a parrasana x potatorum hybrid. I can't find any information about its origin but I presume it is probably a Brian Kemble hybrid? They are both (surprisingly) very variable for now widely distributed hybrids.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (158.89 KiB) Viewed 1240 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (141.4 KiB) Viewed 1240 times

A. Bovicornuta
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (143.93 KiB) Viewed 1240 times

A. Parryi var. Truncata
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (137.14 KiB) Viewed 1240 times

A. Parryi var. Truncata 'Huntingdon' (?). It looks different to the other truncata (pictured above) and has been much slower growing. Although It came from a reputable source (the East Ruston Old Vicerage) prior to var. truncata being commercially available in the UK, I don't know whether it actually is the 'Huntingdon' form (which is now widely tissue cultured).
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (134.24 KiB) Viewed 1240 times
NorfolkExotics
Registered Guest

Post by NorfolkExotics »

A. Montana (X2). An absolutely stunning agave, but one of the few that protested to last years heat. I'm not ashamed to say I bought another one not long after this photo was taken (oh, and some seeds on top of that). I don't have a problem, honest! They are both getting new pots this year. This isn't ideal but will have to suffice until I can get them in the ground. All three plants show an amazing amount of natural variation. The larger plant even has some randomised terminal spine deformations.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (138.6 KiB) Viewed 1219 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (122.38 KiB) Viewed 1219 times

A. Parrasana 'meat claw'
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (127.63 KiB) Viewed 1219 times

A very interesting offset I erm... 'liberated' from an absolute bohemoth growing on the Spanish Mediterranean coast. The plant in question was one of the floppy leaved 'Americana'/'Salmiana angustifolia' marginata plants. It wouldn't be unreasonable to suggest that they are actually variegated forms of A. Mapisaga, a theory which would certainly explain the disparity in hardiness between such plants and the actual Americana marginata. The pictured plant has, interestingly, been tougher in comparison to my normal variegated plant aside from being slower growing (a given due to having less chlorophyll). It has yet to offset (unlike the normal plant) but it will be interesting to see if any more sports come from it.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (127.97 KiB) Viewed 1219 times

A. Macrocantha and X Leopoldii. The Macrocantha was basically perfect, but a snail had something to say about that (as you can see on the right of the plant) :mad: :mad: :mad:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (161.38 KiB) Viewed 1219 times