Agave talk & pictures

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Diane
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Agave talk & pictures

Post by Diane »

:lol: no, not a step ladder Tina. Being rather short of stature, I have a small step stool, so I stood on that, and as my camera has a swivel screen, I could hold it above my head while checking the view on the screen! The staging is 33" I think, and really too wide for my comfort. Lifting the larger plants is undertaken with great trepidation, I try not to do it very often!

And thanks for all the comments, guys!
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
RICHAUD
BCSS Member

Post by RICHAUD »

Tina wrote:Hi Richaud,
I like the agave titanota's , is the colour stable or fades during the winter ?.
Hi Tina
The 2 plants are offshoots from a ¨normal¨ titanota with just a little variegated line on 2 leaves
as you can see on the second photo which is 2 years old offshoot the plant become more yellow
Agave titanota variegata.jpg
Agave titanota variegata.jpg (73.55 KiB) Viewed 2612 times
agavemad
BCSS Member

Post by agavemad »

Hopefully the photo's work :grin:
Here are a few pics, some of my plants are still relatively new and still suffering form 'POST' traumatic stress :grin:
100_8320 (240x180).jpg
100_8320 (240x180).jpg (122.1 KiB) Viewed 2577 times
100_8318 (240x180).jpg
100_8318 (240x180).jpg (219.35 KiB) Viewed 2577 times
100_8334 (240x180).jpg
100_8334 (240x180).jpg (179.21 KiB) Viewed 2577 times
100_8323 (240x180).jpg
100_8323 (240x180).jpg (235.76 KiB) Viewed 2577 times
agavemad
BCSS Member

Post by agavemad »

Diane wrote:
And this is the wonderful Agave schidigera 'Shiro ito no Ohi nakafu' with a cream mid-stripe, very rarely available. This plant was beheaded about 4 years ago, to force offsets from the stump, (which was very successful!) and the rooted top cut is what you see here:
006.JPG
]
You are soooo brave, I don't think I would dare behead one.....just in case.... very nice plant
Diane
BCSS Member

Post by Diane »

"He who dares, wins!" :lol:
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
RICHAUD
BCSS Member

Post by RICHAUD »

Agave stricta marginata.jpg
Agave stricta marginata.jpg (63.26 KiB) Viewed 2556 times
Agave leopoldii marginata.jpg
Agave leopoldii marginata.jpg (88.24 KiB) Viewed 2556 times
Agave horrida variegata.jpg
Agave horrida variegata.jpg (90.28 KiB) Viewed 2556 times
Agave cundinamarcensis marginata.jpg
Agave cundinamarcensis marginata.jpg (102.51 KiB) Viewed 2556 times
Agave bracteosa mediopicta.jpg
Agave bracteosa mediopicta.jpg (90.76 KiB) Viewed 2556 times
Agave attenuata marginata.jpg
Agave attenuata marginata.jpg (103.79 KiB) Viewed 2556 times
Agave attenuata variegata.jpg
Agave attenuata variegata.jpg (112.62 KiB) Viewed 2556 times
Patrick
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET

Post by Patrick »

Richaud, wonderful looking plants, I see quite a number are in the ground and they seem to be liking your conditions. No or little frost I take it?
Patrick. Small varied collection of North American, Mexican and Andean Cacti. Variegated Agaves and Echeveria. Developing a succulent garden in Portugal. Joined Somerset BCSS and forum in 2007.
RICHAUD
BCSS Member

Post by RICHAUD »

Hi Patrick
I live in the south of France near Cannes but all these plants grow in a greenhouse with a minimum temperature at 2 degré C
spinesandrosettes
Registered Guest

Post by spinesandrosettes »

What a great visual treat this thread is, featuring very well grown and lovely examples of fairly uncommon agave cultivars.
I don't see much point in duplicating plants already depicted, but here are a couple I didn't see posted yet.
Agave guiengola Medio Picta
2015 07 23 A guiengola MP aa X850.jpg
This is a brand new plant for me, a type I've been seeking for years. While it might not look like much yet, I believe it to be an actual A. parryi Trucata Medio Picta - very hard to find apparently, and often mistaken or confused with the A. parryi Huatchucensis "Excelsior" (Medio Picta), which are considerably easier to find. Leaf shape and characteristics are completely different.
2015 09 17 A parryi Truncata Medio Picta.JPG
2015 09 17 A parryi Truncata Medio Picta.JPG (144.71 KiB) Viewed 2474 times

Iain, aside from what's been recommended already, I recommend the A. applanata "Cream Spike", not hard to find, and very beautiful once larger and grown hard (full sun). Grown in insufficient light, the form is less compact, and the variegation more white. Grown in sun, the form is very compact, and the white edges turn a gorgeous yellow, as can be seen in an earlier post on this thread (Diane's plant). They're not expensive budget-busters either... :grin:
spinesandrosettes
Registered Guest

Post by spinesandrosettes »

Richaud,
Regarding the clear and beautiful variegation of your Agave titanota plants pictured (tu) , do you provide any special lighting conditions to maintain the variegation, or would you say that what some of us seem to experience as lack of stability in the variegation is clone-dependent? Any insight you are willing to share would be appreciated.
Tom