Agave talk & pictures

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Tina
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Agave talk & pictures

Post by Tina »

Hi Tom,
They look SUPER, I must be really cruel :oops: as I now pull off the albino's & throw them in the bin so the parent doesn't waste the energy on them. I will leave the next one on & see how it develops.
I only have two forms of the agave white victoriae reginae, one from a friend in the USA is fast grower & the other from Italy is seriously slow.
The A. palmeri Kutsugen No Mai Ogi looks really nice , it's a shame it doesn't keep it's 'comb'. I have a agave isthmensis 'kabutogani' which has a comb but is growing very slowly, it's nice as it's a dwarf form, you probably have lots more space than me. The variegated isthmensis 'kabutogani is stunning.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
spinesandrosettes
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by spinesandrosettes »

Thanks Tina. I can understand the thought process of removing the albinos and tossing them, from the point of view of the mother plant wasting energy on the pup which does not help it's own cause by supporting itself in any way. So far though, it would appear that of the 8 of the same version I got at the same time, all the same size... that there is no quantifiable difference between them in how they are growing, but perhaps this will change if and when the albino pups get to any appreciable size. That should be something interesting to compare in the future.

Yes, it's a shame that the Kutsugen No Mai Ogi doesn't keep the randomly appearing, comb-like, merged spines as it matures. However, there's a more or less positive trade off in that the more mature plant features very attractive armor with it's own merits. Fortunately, it does pup regularly and the pups do again exhibit the feature, so the characteristic does seem to be perpetuated through the progeny. I have 2 different plants from different sources, and this phenomenon is consistent between them.

I have a few of the Kabuto Gani, fairly rare plants not offered on any regular basis, but I was not even aware that there was a variegated version out there. I'm quite sure it must be very stunning, and congrats to you on acquiring one! If you get a chance, I would love to see a picture.

Yesterday, I took a new batch of photos of some favorite variegates. I have some cropping and resizing to do, but I'll be back later as time permits to post them.
spinesandrosettes
Registered Guest

Here's a couple of A. parryi variegates. In general, my experience has shown that parryi is a very hardy species. There are 5 recognized subspecies or varieties: Huatchucensis, Truncata, Parryi, Couesii, Neomexicana. Truncata seems to be the one having benefited from more interest judging from the various variegated versions out there.

Here is the one version of Huatchucensis variegate I'm aware of, which originated as a seedling around 1967 at Excelsior Gardens in California. Later in the 1980s, it was introduced by the late Rick Nowakowski of Nature Curiosity Shop fame, and later named by Tony Avent of Plants Delights Nursery. For as long as this has been around, it is still rarely available and a relatively uncommon plant.

A. parryi Huatchucensis Excelsior - these are 2 of my larger individuals I experimented with this year looking to quantify the effect of different lighting situation on the coloration. Very interesting as well, is that more light did not at all translate to more compact form with these plants, an unexpected result. From now on, I will only grow these in shelter from direct sun. It seems to reinforce something I already knew - that when something looks good already, don't mess with a good thing, it rarely gets better and often isn't as good as it already was (see 2nd pic).
2015 09 07 A parryi Huatchucensis Excelsior a X650.jpg
The upper plant was placed outdoors in a location receiving direct and full sun from the earliest hours, until about noon when it got shade relief from trees as the sun passed over. It got moved in the early Spring so that the plant could adjust to more light without burning. The lower plant was moved so that it got more light than it was used to in a greenhouse situation, but less light than the upper plant in the photo.

Here is that same lower plant 1 year ago, still receiving greenhouse lighting conditions. After all said and done, I think the prettiest situation is the most sheltered conditions of the greenhouse, where the coloring is a more pleasing blue and green.
2014 08 05 A parryi Hu  Excelsior #5 X800.jpg
Here is a popular A. parryi Truncata Variegate, recently reintroduced under the cultivar name "Lime Streak", but having several examples of that and the longer available Yellow Variegated version, I can say with confidence that they are the same thing. The new name was apparently given to a Tissue Culture offering, which seems to be the typical disposition of a selected clone which becomes the source for tissue culture propagates.
2015 09 06 A parryi Truncata Variegated X800.jpg
The following is a variegated A. parryi Parryi, and something which appears to be as rare as it is appealing. This one has been grown in direct sun, with shelter only from the late afternoon sun, and seems to be doing well in that situation.
2015 09 06 A parryi Parryi Variegated X800.jpg
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Hi Tom,
Very nice, you have much better growing conditions, I have the first two but not as large, huachensis is slow but I do have quite a few offsets but small.
Do you think pot size makes a difference, I normally keep mine in shallow pans but a friend uses much deeper pots & I think his plants look better & grow quicker but he also repots every year so maybe that makes more difference than just feeding regualrly.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
spinesandrosettes
Registered Guest

Hi Tina,
I think there are different advantages for different pot size culture relative to the size of the plant. Of course, smaller pots means more plants can be squeezed into a smaller amount of available space, so that can't be too bad. :wink:
There's a school of thought that underpotting stimulates more pupping, for those species so inclined, so that's a good way to try and get more. Based on a couple of severely underpotted plants I have acquired over the years, also pushing out an inordinate number of pups, I think there may be some truth to that idea. Also, I find that it's easier in some respects to care for a plant which has it's roots more or less filling up it's pot. The plant can deal with water provided more quickly and easily, and the soil is less likely to remain damp for too long as might occur in a larger pot, which can in itself cause problems, but which is all as well dependent on the weather and ambient temperature. This might be an advantage in a mild climate, but in warmer weather, create more work with more frequent watering necessary.
More room for roots does seem to encourage faster growth, but I also think it depends on the species. I believe I can think of a couple of cases where plants did not seem to grow any faster in a larger pot. One recent example which comes to mind where pot size made a HUGE difference is the case of two Manfreda undulata Chocolate Chips acquired earlier this year. Both were the same size, but one left in it's 1 gal pot has not grown much, while the other moved into a something closer to 5 gal has at least doubled in size.
Here's a visual on that particular example. Photo just taken - hard to believe both were the same size only a few months back...
2015 09 07 Manfreda undulata Chocolate Chips #1 #2 X850.jpg
If the goal is to grow plants that grow quicker in general, I think your friend has the right idea. Larger pots with more room for the roots allows for maximum natural growth, while more restricted space could very well create a Bonzai like effect.
spinesandrosettes
Registered Guest

Tina...OK, here's one I like that you may not have yet. So far, I've only seem it the one time on Ebay.
A. palmeri Variegated. Nice red spines, which stayed red in spite of this year's location in a fairly sunny spot.
2015 09 06 A palmeri Variegated a X800.jpg
2015 09 06 A palmeri Variegated b X800.jpg
Here's it's look (same plant) grown previously in an indoor, more sun sheltered location. I think it did look better then, so for next year's summer, it's going back inside. Amazing what a difference a little more or less sun makes.
2013 02 12 A palmeri Variegated X850.jpg
Oh, that's probably also an example of a plant which put on a burst of growth not long after transplanting to a larger pot...
Lyn
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHERN IRELAND

Post by Lyn »

Really GORGEOUS agave's Tina and spinesandrosettes so stunning :-) XXXXX
Check out my Cacti and Succulent website, where I upload weekly blogs, photos, and videos :-)
http://www.desertplantsofavalon.com/
IainS
Registered Guest

Post by IainS »

Tom: Simply brilliant. And I'm a sucker for Agaves with black tips, which I find to be a finishing touch of elegance.

I have one additional question: With the variegated forms of A. victoriae-reginae, have you seen a very mature plant
- or is it too early in the cultivar(s)' history - and, if "yes" do they attain the same regal beauty of the wild species type? (Looking at your biggest ones, which get me salivating, there seems to be a hint of fuller form loss at the expense of stunning brightness.....?)
"Avoidance doesn't work"
RICHAUD
BCSS Member

Post by RICHAUD »

2 forms of Agave titanota variegated and mediopicta
Agave titanota mediopicta.jpg
Agave titanota mediopicta.jpg (76.83 KiB) Viewed 3015 times
Agave titanota variegata 1er rejet.jpg
Agave titanota variegata 1er rejet.jpg (122.29 KiB) Viewed 3015 times
Diane
BCSS Member

Post by Diane »

I managed to take a few photos this afternoon of my collection of Agaves. The next few pics are an overview of my "Agave corner":
001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG
004.JPG
005.JPG
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!