Pelargonium barklyi

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Pelargonium barklyi

Post by Herts Mike »

Just coming to the end of it's growing period -

Greenlarry
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Re: Pelargonium barklyi

Post by Greenlarry »

Oh very nice. Pels would be a great group to collect
You can take the boy out of the greenhouse, but you can't take the greenhouse out of the boy!
NaZzAtAzEr
Registered Guest
Branch: NORTH SURREY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by NaZzAtAzEr »

Does anyone have advice on how to grow this species from seed?
Herts Mike
BCSS Member

Post by Herts Mike »

Sow it now. Perfect time of the year as it’s a winter grower and will continue until spring when it goes to rest.
TomInTucson
Registered Guest

Post by TomInTucson »

Well grown. I know this one can be a little tricky, because it's one of the few I've killed. I've grown other tricky ones for years. If i try it again, I will use a very porous mix, and possibly a terracotta pot.
Herts Mike
BCSS Member

Post by Herts Mike »

I’ve never lost a Pelargonium to overwatering but I have lost them when they dried out too much in summer. A young Caroli-henrici being a casualty this year. A shame as it’s not common.
ianstrutt
Registered Guest
Branch: NOTTINGHAM

Post by ianstrutt »

Herts Mike wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:09 am I’ve never lost a Pelargonium to overwatering but I have lost them when they dried out too much in summer. A young Caroli-henrici being a casualty this year. A shame as it’s not common.
The nursery I bought p. barklyi from earlier in 2023 don't have it on their updated sales list that came out recently...
Growing in Nottingham for the past 4 years and recently found my way to a Nottingham branch meeting. A few plants on a windowsill has very quickly turned into a greenhouse full!

Attempting to grow a range of turbinicarpus, coryphantha, escobaria and several other cactus genera. Tylecodons, pelargoniums and conophytums keep me occupied in the winter and an ever expanding number of gasteria live under the bench.
Darren S
BCSS Member

Post by Darren S »

I used to grow barklyi and it seeded everywhere but have since lost it. Now it is incrassatum that seeds everywhere!

The biggest problem I found with barklyi was it seemed very prone to botrytis.
Darren nr Lancaster UK. Growing Conophytum, Lobivia, Sulcorebutia, bulbs etc.
Mike P
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Mike P »

I sowed seed in March and these two are the result. I didn’t realise they were winter growers and have had them outside since June. Should I just carry on now and let them rest next year?
I think the seed came from either the AGS or the Hardy plant society.
Attachments
IMG_2514.jpeg
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Mike P wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:36 pm I sowed seed in March and these two are the result. I didn’t realise they were winter growers and have had them outside since June. Should I just carry on now and let them rest next year?
I sort of have the same problem. I sowed a mix of seeds in spring. I had no idea what was in the mix, but apparently there were a lot of Pelargonium sp. seeds in there. They have grown well, but now are starting to drop some leaves. Could be because of a warm autumn. Or they do want to go dormant for winter.

I don't really know if they are winter active or summer active. Are all Pelargonium species winter active?