A quartz hill west of Steinkopf.

Habitat, nursery/collection and show tours.
ChrisR
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Member

A quartz hill west of Steinkopf.

Post by ChrisR »

Andy Young & I took a hike up this hill in September 2014. It took about an an hour to reach the top of the highest peak in the photo.
DSCN4271.JPG
On the way across the flats we noticed this choice Adromischus marianiae 'herrei', mostly in and under the bushes, but I found this one out in the open to photograph. It's actually more like the form known as A. marianiae 'multicolor'.
DSCN4221.JPG
Our reason for choosing to explore this particular hill was because it's the type locality (and so far the only known locality) for Conophytum chrisocruxum. As soon as we reached the blocky quarzt near the top, we started to see the plants.
DSCN4225.JPG
I was actually very near here back in 1996 when Derek Tribble & I met Steven Hammer & Chris Barnhill just a few hours after they'd been up here and discovered the then new cono. Steve was very excited about it but didn't want to tell us exactly where it was until it had been described.....which he did soon after in the American journal, along with Conophytum chrisolum which I took him to see on the same day. C.chrisocruxum was named for the perpendicular cross over the fissure....but actually very few clones exhibit this to any great extent.
DSCN4228.JPG
Once up there the peak turned out to be an almost continuous ridge, so possibly the cono extends further than we saw it.
DSCN4244.JPG
There were many more interesting succulents up there on the south facing side of the ridge I chose to explore. This looks like an Orbea sp. maybe?
DSCN4246.JPG
Haworthia arachnoidea is quite common in these parts, only that and H. venosa ssp.tessellata inhabit this part of the country.
DSCN4238.JPG
Here it's keeping company with Senecio sulcicalyx and another cono, Conophytum meyeri which is common around here.
DSCN4259.JPG
If you look at the above photo closely, you can see a red leaf and a dry Tylecodon flower. I had no idea of the species but on my return Derek informed me that this is also the type locality for Tylecodon cordiformis.
DSCN4233.JPG
There's another Tylecodon here too.....from memory, a form of T.bucholzianus - but I know Derek will correct this if wrong. Crassula pseudohemisphaericus is also common, always in shade or semi-shade.
DSCN4243.JPG
A small form of Adromischus filicaulis.
DSCN4241.JPG
A veritable succulent garden......Crassula muscosa joining some of the plants already seen.
DSCN4252.JPG
Here's a seedling C.chrisocruxum, with a small Crassula tomentosa and Bulbine mesembryanthemoides. One invariably sees many different Crassulas growing together on such a hill.
DSCN4254.JPG
A Meyerophytum sp?
DSCN4264.JPG
And some really colourful lichen!
DSCN4268.JPG
Finally, view from the top of this very species rich hill. And I probably missed a few!
DSCN4245.JPG
Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Re: A quartz hill west of Steinkopf.

Post by rodsmith »

Thanks for this interesting and informative post, Chris. Super photos of all these plants in habitat. It helps to put our succulent collections into perspective.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Liz M »

I always enjoy seeing plants in habitat, thanks for posting these.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
purzo
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by purzo »

Not only great photos of succulent plants but the rock formations and lichen are very interesting too. The quality and clarity of the photos is setting a very high standard. Thanks for sharing Chris.
Cheers
Gary

Plant Interests
cacti & other succulents, carnivorous plants