A hill in Namaqualand.

Habitat, nursery/collection and show tours.
ChrisR
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Member

A hill in Namaqualand.

Post by ChrisR »

Over the years I've enjoyed looking at localities which had previously only been names on labels to me. Seen long ago by others, their plant or seed collections from these places continue to be enjoyed and propagated in cultivation. Conophytum pellucidum is usually white flowered but populations centred in the hills between Kamieskroon and Hondeklip Bay have mostly purple/pink flowers.

Recently I had the opportunity to look at one in particular which we have grown for a long time as SB1059 from Killian's Pass. This originates from a seed collection made back in 1982 during one of Steven Hammer's early visits to South Africa, on a trip with Steven Brack and Anthony Mitchell. Conservation in cultivation, in practice.

This is a typical granite or gneiss "dome" of the area, where the rock is exposed and weather-worn. It is often hard to access them as the water run-off causes luxuriant growth of dense tree and bushes at the base and getting through that is not easy.
DSCN0657.JPG
But once up there, the view back down the pass is quite nice. Our vehicle is just visible by the gravel road.
DSCN0648.JPG
Conos and small bulbs especially like the moss and lichen which retains moisture.
DSCN0649.JPG
DSCN0647.JPG
DSCN0640.JPG
They also like shallow grit pans that form in the granite depressions.
DSCN0642.JPG
Most were purple/pink but there was the occasional white flowered plant.
DSCN0634.JPG
It was early season - autumn - so the plants were not generally well exposed due to only recently getting a little rain after a long hot summer. A few in shade were looking better.
DSCN0654.JPG
As is often the case, wherever there's a diurnal cono there is also a nocturnal flowering species. In this area it's invariably cono pageae and also a smaller form than seen further north. This is about 10mm dia.
DSCN0627.JPG
DSCN0626.JPG
Other plants seen were Anacampseros and Oxalis. The Oxalis is particularly nice with such large flowers and hairy leaves.
DSCN0656.JPG
DSCN0650.JPG
DSCN0651.JPG
Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Re: A hill in Namaqualand.

Post by rodsmith »

Fascinating, Chris. Thanks for posting these photos.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
MikeT
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

Some excellent photos again, Chris. Looks as if it was late in the afternoon, with some nice lighting effects - or were you up there early in the morning?
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
ChrisR
BCSS Member

Post by ChrisR »

Thanks Rod.....it makes it worth doing when I hear people enjoy it.

Mike....it was late afternoon. Makes photography difficult sometimes as you know, but can give some nice effects.

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Lovely pictures, its always surprising when you see habitat shots & the flora they grow with, it must be really damp sometimes to have the dry lichen & moss
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
FlorentG
Registered Guest

Post by FlorentG »

Looks like a hill I know well! :wink: (click to make bigger)

Watched the sunset from the top last September

Saw the pellucidums, quite red!

But also went for the Pelargoniums... (P. echinatum here) :grin:
Carl
BCSS Member
Branch: ISLE OF WIGHT
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by Carl »

Just quickly showed this to Anthony as he's a member of a our branch and he remembered the trip quite well :)

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Carl Bullock (Isle of Wight Branch Treasurer, Webmaster)
[IW Branch Website|Branch Facebook Page|My Personal Facebook Page]
BCSS 50189
ChrisR
BCSS Member

Post by ChrisR »

He's a legend Carl! I'll be seeing him at the MSG show in September.