Mexcico in October?

Habitat, nursery/collection and show tours.
Frank103
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOUTH WALES
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Mexcico in October?

Post by Frank103 »

I'm asking for advice which parts of Mexico are best to visit, and which plants to focus on, in October? I'll be in Mexico next year in October on a business trip but would like to add on some time to see cacti in the wild.
Many thanks!
Mainly cacti, with a preference for Mexican ones, but I'm flexible!

Chairman of BCSS South Wales branch
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Mexcico in October?

Post by Paul in Essex »

I've been to Mexico in October several times. I'll be there again in two weeks.

First question - where? It is a big country.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
Frank103

Post by Frank103 »

Hi Paul,
My work takes me to Mexico City so my plan is to fly from there to somewhere where I would then hire a car and go in search of cacti. Only condition is that it should be reasonably safe to do on my own and not involve days of driving cross country.
Thanks!
Frank

Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Paul in Essex »

If flying out from Mexico City to somewhere I would, without hesitation, recommend that you fly to Oaxaca and hire a car there. As a destination on its own, the old colonial heart of Oaxaca is the finest city I have visited anywhere in the world. If timing is right stay on for the first weekend in November for the Day of the Dead celebrations. A half-day trip takes you to the Mayan ruins of Monte Alban, with other smaller sites nearby. The food in southern Mexico is sublime. Pollo con mole oaxaqueno or mole negro just has to be sampled! Within the walls of the old cathedral is a botanical garden (guided tours only) and museum - both fascinating. Eating - fine dining nearby at casa oaxaca is still cheap by UK standards, but anywhere on the main square is good. I head for Terranova.

Plantwise, from Oaxaca you are within striking distance of the Tehuacan Valley, which is the most abundant place in the world for cacti and succulents. Many safe places to stay in that part of Mexico - it is off the radar of the drug related issues that plague western and some parts of northen Mexico. Occasionally domestic problems arise but they are never an issue for tourists. A lazy triangle travelling between of Tehuacan, Huajuapan de Leon and Oaxaca should keep you occupied.

Here are links to blogs I did of my two trips to that part of the world:

http://www.oasisdesigns.co.uk/mexnov07/index.htm

http://www.oasisdesigns.co.uk/mex0310/index.htm

And that is exactly what I am doing this year - flying to Mexico City, connecting flight to Oaxaca, hiring a car from there and spending a fortnight mooching about... oh, and an up-to-date Satnav map is invaluable. I have just bought the latest TomTom map of Mexico and it is currently reduced to £20! Industry standard paper map book is Guia Roji map book but that often lacks the finer detail, especially when driving through towns.

The 'Moon Guide to Oaxaca' is a detailed guide book and I find the 'Rough Guide to Mexican Spanish' the most useful dictionary/phrasebook.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
Frank103

Post by Frank103 »

That's great, thanks a lot! I visited Oaxaca once briefly (in 2003) and saw Monte Alban, but wouldn't mind repeating the experience, as you say it's a beautiful place. And I've never been to the Tehuacan Valley; your blogs are mouthwatering! And thanks also for tourist advice re sat nav etc., that's all very helpful. :smile: