Mexico 2016 blog now live

Habitat, nursery/collection and show tours.
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA
Role within the BCSS: Member

Mexico 2016 blog now live

Post by Paul in Essex »

Read it if you get bored over christmas. Bit of a surprise in there....

Link here
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Re: Mexico 2016 blog now live

Post by Herts Mike »

I'm already bored over Christmas......
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

An interesting read Paul, thanks for posting the link. Your 'encounter' sounds very frightening, you have expressed it well, it certainly highlights some of the dangers of going off the beaten track.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member

Post by Paul in Essex »

Thank you! I was beginning to think no-one had read it!

Yes, the 'encounter' was a game changer. No more plant hunting in Mexico for me!
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DERBY

Post by Ali Baba »

Read and enjoyed Paul as always, I drool over the ferns and wish you had brought a few spores home with you [emoji3] it did sound more than a bit scary...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Liz M »

I enjoyed reading this and feel quite sorry you don't want to go back to plant-hunting in the unknown. I do appreciate the dangers you faced and would face again, I wonder if it is something that is frequently encountered on trips to Mexico. Regrettably drugs are more profitable than plants, in the short term and until the Mexican authorities realise this and seriously do something about it, it will not improve.
I was intrigued by the plants you showed us, you seemed to concentrate on Yuccas, Agaves and Nolinas, it was quite unusual to have a Mexican trip report without a view of many cacti and only a couple of succulents. A refreshing change for me. Do you go to look for these with a view to exotic garden design or your preference? I realise you only showed a small percentage of what you photographed, so maybe I got a wrong impression. I would still like to see more, perhaps I ought to go to see something of it myself. Thanks for putting this on here.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member

Post by Paul in Essex »

Growing ferns from spore is a dark art I haven't mastered, sadly. I just end up with non-descript slime. But there are some glorious ferns there - some of the xeric ferns in particular are just amazing.

Liz - the groups of plants that interest me the most are what would have been once described loosely as 'woody lilies' - so agave, yucca, nolina, dasylirion, beaucarnea, furcraea, beschorneria. Initially the appeal was trying to find species that I could perhaps try to grow - to see them growing naturally and therefore try and get a better handle on how to do my best for them. But that soon blossomed into a more wide reaching love of seeing the plants in nature, especially now that collecting seed from the wild is a no-no. I am interested in most other groups of plants and will usually take pictures of them when I encounter them, but my head is turned first and most often by woody lilies.

I do feel sorry I won't be going back as there are so many issues I have that are unresolved - undescribed species I like to see documented, just a love for the countryside and scenery. But until it becomes safer I am not going. There are two seasoned travellers in Mexico who I have discussed this with and they both said I was lucky to have come out of that encounter alive. That is good enough for me! I'd go back as a tourist, but never to go poking about in remote places.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DERBY

Post by Ali Baba »

Paul in Essex wrote:Growing ferns from spore is a dark art I haven't mastered, sadly. I just end up with non-descript slime. But there are some glorious ferns there - some of the xeric ferns in particular are just amazing.
Probably the only dark art I can claim to have got the hang of! Not as difficult as might be presumed...if you collect any in the future I'll be happy to try and raise them for you :grin:
Lithos
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by Lithos »

I will say , what a shame, Paul. My exploration of Mexico, was largely by bus, and often in rooms and occasionally a shower, that Ali baba may have found new growth, not yet recorded. Some really tricky gunpoint times, particularly down the pacific coast. And in St. Miguel de allende, as you say it can happen anywhere
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Hi Paul
Love the pictures & nice that you can do sightseeing & plant hunting together, it's quite tempting, helps that you have soo much experience of places to visit.
Very scary re the men with guns, glad you made it back safe
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.