A week in Gran Canaria

Habitat, nursery/collection and show tours.
Tony R
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BROMLEY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: A week in Gran Canaria

Post by Tony R »

Great stuff, Liz! Another wonderful 'winter' holiday. Thanks.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Liz M »

Thank you everyone. I can recommend the Canary Islands for great weather, mostly, fantastic scenery and wonderful plants. There are cactus gardens on several of the islands which are also worth visiting. The biggest problem, apart from the number of visitors, is the disaster of the introduced species of Agaves and Opuntias. It really brings home to you, what happens when alien plants are brought to a place.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Post by Paul in Essex »

Just back from a week there myself! Where did you stay? May have bumped into you!

And where was the Aeonium spathulatum?
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Liz M »

We stayed in San Augustin, on the quiet end of the beach from Maspalomas. The Aeonium spathulatum was on the road GC130 close by to the Caldera de Marteles. Apart from those in the photo I only saw small bits of it. There seemed to be plenty of the other native species.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member

Post by Paul in Essex »

Thanks for that. I didn't go to that bit - looks like a nice area to visit, so it is on the list for next time!
We stayed in Puerto Mogan. I guess anywhere on the coast is still only an hour or less drive into the mountains, although I'd like to find a nice base to try on the east side, north of the airport I think.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
jerryb23
BCSS Member
Branch: NORWICH

Post by jerryb23 »

If you ever go back to Gran Canaria there is a huge cactus garden/park tucked away in in the hills on the west coast.

Cactualdea, Cactus Park Visitor & Tourist Information
Address : Cactualdea Parque, Carretera del Hoyo, Tocodomán, 35478 La Aldea de San Nicolás, Gran Canaria, Spain

Google Cactualdea

It is not very well advertised on GC so not many people seem to know about it but it is well worth visiting though you will need a hire car to get there. I have been 3 times and the last time (in 2013) they were giving each visitor a free plant of their own choice from the nursery (everything grows so quickly over there that they end up with a surplus of more than they can use). So using my better half's allowance I selected two Agaves (Macroacantha and Potatorum) in 8 inch boxes which fitted nicely into a hand luggage holdall. As Spain is EU you can bring plants back without certificates although with Gran Canaria Islands this is limited to a maximum of 5 plants.
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member

Post by Paul in Essex »

Interesting. I guess that must be the reason for the large imitation cactus in the road we drove by one day at La Aldea!
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
jerryb23
BCSS Member
Branch: NORWICH

Post by jerryb23 »

Yes, that's it - here are some images:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=ca ... &FORM=IGRE
Emile
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by Emile »

nice photos of your trip. thanks for sharing
:embar: :embar: :embar: :embar: :embar:
John Dos
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by John Dos »

Just found this thread - a year too late.
Some of the names in the pictures are mistaken, but then, in Aeonium, many things are changing now.

There is much more to see on GC. And even that I'm no fan of opuntia and agave, these plants have been used in former times for the precarious economy of the island and in some places you still can spot the rows of agave (sisal manufacture) and spiny borders of old tomato fields. Eradicating them now is nearly impossible, as is the introduced Pennisetum sp., Ageratina sp. and a few more. Most tourist enjoy them though, and most islanders think these plant are autochthonous plants.

Though Spain is EU, Canaries are not! beware! Plants and stones can be confiscated at the airport. Since two years ago every import of plant needs phytocertificate. Control vary between very lax and severe. Canaries are considered 'ultraperiphere region' for all purposes other than political affiliation. Our taxes are not EU taxes.

Though my english is not very good, anyone visiting Gran Canaria may contact me. I live in Las Palmas, in the north. And there are so many crassulaceae to be seen! For flowering shrubs the best time would be from march on; this year all has been about four weeks later than normal, even the almond flower. The north/centre is still green right now and it is still raining once a week.
The good thing about the islands is that in the north it seldom gets really hot in summer - like it does in the spanish mainland - and if you need to get to the beach, its as easy to reach from the mountains as it is the other way. There are plenty of apartments to rent, not only the crowded hotels in the tourist areas.
For enthusiasts of nature Gran Canaria is worth a holiday.