Which seeds have you ordered this year?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
el48tel
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Which seeds have you ordered this year?

Post by el48tel »

Herts Mike wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:38 pm If you aren't into cacti or mesembs there isn't much left.
Exactly
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by esp »

Well, it's a very low cost list, produced largely by donations and on the back of volunteer input.
Maybe view it as a list of "selected seed which the BCSS has been able to make available at very low cost", and regarded it as a glass half full at the least?
Most commercial seedlists have huge gaps in some groups of species and Crassulaceae in general are poorly represented. The BCSS is typical in this regards. If you want Echeveria seed, Koehres can provide plenty, typically at 3 to 6 Euros or more per packet.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

please please don't start moaning about the list. Its only 30p for some VERY good species.
As mentioned, its a service provided free by the society, they can only offer what they can purchase or are given .
I imagine the internet list will be up soon so everyone can order.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Tina wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:18 pm please please don't start moaning about the list. Its only 30p for some VERY good species.
As mentioned, its a service provided free by the society, they can only offer what they can purchase or are given .
Hang on ..... hang on.
Please don't jump to conclusions ..... all I said was ..... well .... read it for yourself.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Tina wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:18 pm please please don't start moaning about the list. Its only 30p for some VERY good species.
Please don't put words into my mouth
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by esp »

el48tel wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:24 pm
Please don't put words into my mouth
el48tel wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:24 pm "if it contains seeds outside your interests you are not so happy."
^ I'm afraid this does read like a moan.
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

Generally speaking it is easy to produce large quantities of seed of most cacti and mesembs, but other things are much trickier and the Society needs to get in around 400 seeds as a minimum. Just have a go at trying to source this quantity of asclepiad or haworthia seed or have a go at doing it yourself and you will appreciate the problems involved. Also, some of this seed is rather short-lived and there is a logistical problem in getting it to members in a timely manner. Be grateful for what you are getting for 30p per packet and check out the Mesa Garden website or Ebay to see what some of this seed is costing on the open market.
Diane
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Diane »

Agree with Tina! We are so lucky to be able to obtain seeds at these low prices, and a great big thank you to the seed buyer!
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

I'm not moaning. Just making an observation. I fully accept that you can only put out what you have and it's great value for money.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Esp Tina ... sorry for your misunderstanding
HertsMike :smile:
Diane yup
Terry S .. thanks for extra info about seed gathering .. most useful