Hello

New members, please take the time to introduce yourself and your collection.
edds
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Hello

Post by edds »

Hi,
Just joined as a member of the BCSS and the forum. Been growing plants of various forms for years including a few Aeonium but got into Echeveria too. And, as I have a new office with a conservatory roof that's too hot and dry for orchids in the summer and too cold overnight in the winter, I got a couple of cacti to go in there and caught that bug too. We've also a conservatory (where most of the plants are now) and cold greenhouse at home

I've got an increasing seed list coming in (along with a nice selection from BCSS list that came with my welcome pack hopefully) to grow as well.

Will post some photos up tomorrow to brighten up this thread!

Ed
Ed

BCSS member 53038
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Re: Hello

Post by el48tel »

Ed
Welcome to the BCSS and the forum.
Seasonal greetings and happy seed growing.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

Welcome to the forum Ed. As you're finding, cacti and succulents are addictive. Good luck with your seed growing. Don't be too eager to get the seeds sown, though, once they arrive. It's probably best to wait till March.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

Thanks for the welcomes.

I've been reading up Rod and have sorted a propagator with an led light to give the seedlings a head start. As my office is bright and heated over the winter to 20 degrees during the day with colder nights and then a couple of weeks colder over Christmas I'm hoping I can keep seedlings growing in there next winter and cut down the time to flowering for the Echinopsis hybrids and Rebutia types I've bought. I'm new to cacti though so happy to be advised to do different, just itching to get started!
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Chez2
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by Chez2 »

Hello. I'm in to succulents too.
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

Welcome, Ed, glad you got your access/login sorted out. Look forward to some pictures.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

edds wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:17 am Thanks for the welcomes.

I've been reading up Rod and have sorted a propagator with an led light to give the seedlings a head start. As my office is bright and heated over the winter to 20 degrees during the day with colder nights and then a couple of weeks colder over Christmas I'm hoping I can keep seedlings growing in there next winter and cut down the time to flowering for the Echinopsis hybrids and Rebutia types I've bought. I'm new to cacti though so happy to be advised to do different, just itching to get started!
Sounds like a good regime to me. :grin:
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

Thanks and thanks for the reassurance Rod.

When sowing the Agave seeds that I'd soaked in GA3 on Saturday I had a shock - 3 of the 4 (and possibly the A.montana but I didn't notice) had already started to sprout! I'll certainly use GA3 again after those results!

These are the Agave victoria-reginae seeds before I sowed them.
IMG_20191217_111629.jpg
The other species that had sprouted were A.parryi and A.filifera ssp. schidigera. Nothing on the Yucca rigida yet though.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

Tony R wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:46 amLook forward to some pictures.
Thought it might be best to add the photos as a separate thread in Greenhouse Tours so I can keep adding to it as the collection grows.

https://forum.bcss.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=169157
Ed

BCSS member 53038