Agave OH NO

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Tina
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Agave OH NO

Post by Tina »

I was looking at this agave over Christmas & thinking it looked a bit of an ODD shape sort of stretched & I'm pretty sure its going to flower, really upsettting but a sign of maturity gets to us all :wink: .

I'd love to see a stem with bulbils on so fingers crossed.
starting to flower 3_20.jpg
starting to flower A 3_20.jpg
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Re: Agave OH NO

Post by Herts Mike »

Which one is it Tina?
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

The main one in the picture :lol: , it's got a few names but its agave potatorum kissho kan mediopicta aurea , I have seen it as nishiki but I think that's for the white mp form.
It's a nice blue green form so do you think it's going to flower ?, I suppose it must be as it look so odd not as easy to show via camera.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Herts Mike
BCSS Member

Post by Herts Mike »

Can't tell Tina but it's a lovely plant.
BrianMc
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by BrianMc »

Tina wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:57 pm really upsettting but a sign of maturity gets to us all :wink: .
......Old age gets to us all eventually. It doesn't follow that Maturity goes with it ! :lol:
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Keen propagator and compulsive 'tickler'!
Instagram #myscottishgreenhouse
Acid John
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Acid John »

Tina, what would happen if you damaged the flower. Do you think it would encourage it to offset on the flower stem?
Acid John
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

Old age gets to us all eventually. It doesn't follow that Maturity goes with it !

I agree or 'great wisdom' (td) .

I think if the flower was damaged it would just try to regrow as once the plant has decided to flower certain hormones are released, once in Cyprus I saw a flowering agave with main head & 2 little pups had diddy flower stems too.
Doc walker is the one to ask, I'll whats app him see if we can get him back on the forum for a visit.

Thanks for the compliment Mike, you haven't visited since the move, more greenhouses ....
Tina

Bucks, UK
Herts Mike
BCSS Member

Post by Herts Mike »

Must come and drool Tina...
Herts Mike
BCSS Member

Post by Herts Mike »

Hope Tina doesn't mind me pinching her thread but I have just repotted this and it's so handsome.

Agave potatorum Tradewinds
IMG_20200303_1213580_rewind_kindlephoto-210089525.jpg
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Post by Paul in Essex »

From the picture it doesn't look like it is about to flower. The telltale signs are that the middle swells (and looks decidedly pregnant!) and the newest leaves start to get increasingly smaller - then the bud shows.

That said, I have no comparison to what it looked like before :)
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.