ELK 2020

Post details of any upcoming events, meets or newsworthy stories about our hobby.
Aiko
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: ELK 2020

Post by Aiko »

So who is planning to go to the ELK, assuming there will still be an ELK in September?

With people going on vacation and probably ready to spread the delta or next variant around through August when they have returned, I am not so keen on going for the moment, really. I don't know if the ELK will be super crowded (as there hardly has been any fairs this and the previous year and they want to make up for it) or very quiet (as not everyone feels it is a wise thing to visit so skip on it just to be sure).

Are any of the British up here planning on coming? I understood things are worsening in the UK, though even the basic restrictions such as 1.5-2 meters distancing will be canceled later this month?
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Post by Stuart »

Apart from bringing plants back, which is still quite possible but a bit complicated, the one factor that would have made ELK impossible for the English would be if there was still a quarantine period when visiting Belgium. I don't think I could cope with spending five days in the same room eating sandwiches before being allowed out! However, Germany is about to scrap its quarantine rules for fully jabbed English so hopefully Belgium and The Netherlands will do the same. There'll be less visitors from the UK this year but I'm still aiming to be in my usual corner.

Stuart
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

It seems the ELK will continue.

But...

- The ELK 2021 is only accessible for persons with a valid corona pass (i.e., at least fourteen days fully vaccinated, negative PCR test or recovered from Covid-19). Persons not in possession of this pass will not be admitted under any circumstances!

- Strict adherence to the corona protocol. This includes known measures such as wearing a mouth mask, disinfecting hands and respecting the minimum distance. The latter entails limiting the number of visitors who may be present at the sales areas at the same time and respecting a circulation plan.

I was already planning on not coming. But if I were, this would be a deal breaker for me. Walking around with face masks is depressing. And I don't want to live in a world where I have to go through testing procedures and health checks and just obediently accept this is as an okay new normal. So I just don't go anywhere and keep my money. I will see if things are more relaxed in 2022.
Stuart
BCSS Member

Post by Stuart »

Sadly, the number coming from the UK will be much reduced this year. I find it hard enough recognising people so if everyone has to wear a face-bag it's going to be even harder. I still think the ELK Committee should be congratulated on the effort they have put into making the event go ahead this year..

Stuart
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Hi
We aren't coming, I'm really disappointed about but it's not worth buying lots of lovely plants & losing them, I also normally bring a tray or two of sale plants so I could lose with way.
I did book a consolation holiday for ELK time & now that's been cancelled too so another pants year.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Aiko wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:50 pm Are any of the British up here planning on coming? I understood things are worsening in the UK, though even the basic restrictions such as 1.5-2 meters distancing will be canceled later this month?
How are things going up there, with all restrictions being lifted?
Or are things not very mucht pre-2020 as it sounds?

Up here they are planning things to be like this somewhere late September.
Stuart
BCSS Member

Post by Stuart »

Branch meetings have restarted, major events at Hyde Hall and Cactus World Live at Manchester are well-attended and pub quizzes are back. Almost normal except for foreign travel. The British are still banned from the USA and I'm going to miss my usual corner of the tent at ELK because the Dutch still insist on 10 days quarantine for the British even if double-jabbed though they allow American visitors without quarantine. My trip to Belgium relies on visiting Holland afterwards and the only way round the Dutch quarantine was to spend 10 days in Belgium beforehand. I couldn't stretch out a four day ELK trip into ten days so sadly had to pull out. The British usually have over 40 rooms at ELK and this year it's zero. Hopefully things will be OK for ELK 2022, it's Covid rather than Brexit that has stopped me going, I even considered a week in Brugge before ELK to qualify towards my ten days but it would have meant leaving the day after I came back from the Cactus World Live event this weekend. I'll miss seeing everyone at Blankenberge.

Stuart
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: DUBLIN

Post by habanerocat »

Had a quick look there and it seems to be still going ahead. This might not be the best place to ask for info as there are no UK sellers listed unfortunately.

Is it going to be busy or quiet? Are there going to be virus restriction queues outside.
Generally I'm asking is it going to be worth going to?
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

You could go...
- if you don't mind queueing up outside waiting to be the next to allowed to enter when the tent or hall reaches maximum allowed capacity. Bring an umbrella.
- if you don't mind doing this over and over whenever you walk from the hall to the tent or backwards. I assume this needs to happen, or else it would be easy to sneak in via the parking lot on the east side without any of the checks at all...
- if you don't mind feeling rushed because there are others waiting outside to also come in and waiting for you to exit again.
- if you don't mind going through health checks checked by some bouncer every where you go and find this all a very normal and a positive thing for the future from now on.
- If you don't find wearing a mask is unpleasant, and looking at others wearing one is not depressing you out.

For me each of these is taking all the fun away that is left of going to a plant fair (or basically anywhere), and is a reason on its own for me not to go at all (anywhere). Let alone seeing these in action combined.

For you the additional brexit measures might make it even harder to bring the plants in that you have bought (depending if you travel via the UK).
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

My Belgium friend also said the French are staying away from Elk, some of the older sellers aren't going as they feel its not worth the health risk so it could be lots of bargains or very quiet.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.