Sedum humifusum

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: DOVER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Sedum humifusum

Post by Ali Baba »

The only Sedum that’s allowed greenhouse space, well worth it especially at this time of year. This came originally as a small piece from LizM and now fills a 6” pan
Attachments
F96AEA4B-52AE-4CEF-A014-024B1FAF9E9D.jpeg
Diane
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Sedum humifusum

Post by Diane »

Quite stunning!
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

Fantastic plant, certainly worth the greenhouse space.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
Patrick
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET

Post by Patrick »

Yes, that looks great, I never heard of it
Patrick. Small varied collection of North American, Mexican and Andean Cacti. Variegated Agaves and Echeveria. Developing a succulent garden in Portugal. Joined Somerset BCSS and forum in 2007.
wildedges
Registered Guest

Post by wildedges »

That's a great display. It's not a sedum I've come across before so I think I'll be adding it to the wishlist :grin: How long has it taken to spread out that much out of interest?
Ali Baba
BCSS Member

Post by Ali Baba »

Hi to be honest I can’t remember when Liz sent it to me, probably 3 or 4 years from a bit about 2cm across. Bits drop off all the time around the edges so there are always spares! It is a high altitude plant from Mexico so needs to be frost free and dry in winter
wildedges
Registered Guest

Post by wildedges »

I managed to get hold of a few cuttings of this last year and it's outgrown its initial pot over the winter. Can I ask what soil mix you use for it? I've got it growing in almost pure pumice for now.
Mike P
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Mike P »

Miles ahead of my plant which I grow outside in a clay pan. It’s seems quite hardy in the south and is grown as an alpine in a very mineral mix. Mine appears as a very young plant in a 3” pot in JP’s succulent book.
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch
Ali Baba
BCSS Member

Post by Ali Baba »

wildedges wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:13 pm I managed to get hold of a few cuttings of this last year and it's outgrown its initial pot over the winter. Can I ask what soil mix you use for it? I've got it growing in almost pure pumice for now.
It’s just growing in my normal gritty cactus mix
Ali Baba
BCSS Member

Post by Ali Baba »

Mike P wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:01 am Miles ahead of my plant which I grow outside in a clay pan. It’s seems quite hardy in the south and is grown as an alpine in a gh mineral mix. Mine appears as a very young plant in a 3” pot in JP’s succulent book.
I haven’t dared leave mine out up here, I think it might succumb to winter wet. I will have to try a bit in one of my alpine troughs. It certainly doesn’t like heat, I nearly lost it one year on a very hot spring day. Now I am careful to get it outside early and it stays out until the first frost.
It spreads rapidly from cuttings, my plant was reduced to cuttings and potted up in the same pan as it was crawling over the edges and dying off in the centre and 8 months later is a pan full again