My greenhouses are "refreshed"

Share your collection with the rest of the forum here.
Tony R
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BROMLEY
Role within the BCSS: Member

My greenhouses are "refreshed"

Post by Tony R »

The lockdown because of Covid-19 has meant I have spent more time with my plants in mid-March to mid-April than I can remember for more than a decade.

Every plant (except the few planted in the centre bed) has been outside, watered from underneath and on top, inspected and returned to its home. Some plants were discarded. some mealy bugs still need to be dealt with, about two thousand plants need repotting this season, but I feel great progress has been made!

Here are a few general shots of the greenhouses .....
Img_0978.jpg

Img_0983.jpg

IMG_0984.JPG

The centre bed which used to house my large Opuntia robusta is now planted with oreocereus, cleistocactus and espostoa
Img_0981.jpg

Some small adromischus and gasterias
IMG_0979.JPG

Most of the gasterias are hiding under the benches; here are a couple of my favourite G. rawlinsonii.
Img_0986.jpg

One side of the 'Propagation House'
IMG_0977.JPG

The 'Sales House' with plants waiting to find new homes once I can attend events and talks in the future (cacti on top, other succulents underneath)
Img_0976.jpg
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Flayzerflay
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Re: My greenhouses are "refreshed"

Post by Flayzerflay »

Looking in top shape, everything ready for a few mm of growth. :cac3:
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

Everything looks brilliant Tony, I just don't know how you keep it all going, well done! I look forward to buying some of those sale plants sometime. I think that one of the few advantages of the present situation is the chance to catch up with our plants and some much needed repotting, I've done a mere 30 :roll:
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
edds
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by edds »

Looking good Tony. It's nice feeling like you're on top of some gardening bits that normally never get completed.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Cactusgirl
BCSS Member
Branch: CLACTON-on-SEA

Post by Cactusgirl »

What a fabulous greenhouse and great plants! Can I ask are Gasteria best kept out of full sun? If so I will put mine on the lower tier of the staging. thanks
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Looks so organised and clean, did it look messy to start with :grin:.
Mine never look this organised its very impressive (tu)
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

My GH is tiny but needs a little TLC - does Tony do home visits as an "essential"?
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Brian
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by Brian »

Very impressive, but I thought it would be, Tony. A great set up to be proud of.

Most concerned at the lack of gasterias but I gather they are tucked away low down, shy as they are.

I’m the same as you (in my micro set up), never spent so much time tidying and repotting this time of the year. Problem now is that I’ve run out of compost & I’m not sure where to source any at the moment.
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

Cactusgirl wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:30 pm What a fabulous greenhouse and great plants! Can I ask are Gasteria best kept out of full sun? If so I will put mine on the lower tier of the staging. thanks
Gasterias do best out of full sun. Sun early or late in the day is ok or 100% shade.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Cactusgirl
BCSS Member
Branch: CLACTON-on-SEA

Post by Cactusgirl »

That's great thanks Rod I now know that mine are in the best place in the lower tier