Don't forget the On-Line talk on tuesday

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Tina
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Don't forget the On-Line talk on tuesday

Post by Tina »

We are excited to announce that we have arranged for Dr Detlev Metzing, one of the world’s best-known authorities on Gymnocalycium to give us a talk on this spectacularly popular genus. Detlev has supported the BCSS Zoom meeting from the beginning, and we are so happy that he has agreed to present this talk to us.

Detlev says “Gymnocalycium is undoubtedly a popular genus. When I started with the cactus hobby in the first half of the 1970s, a Gymnocalycium quehlianum was one of the first species in my small collection on the windowsill. This plant is still alive but is now in the greenhouse – with many other species of the same genus. In this lecture I would like to share with you the fascination of the genus Gymnocalycium – with pictures from the plants in cultivation and in nature”.

Detlev is a member of most Cactus Societies around the world (including the BCSS) and an elected member of the IOS. Detlev is an academic focusing on botany, conservation, horticulture, and Climate change so is well qualified to tell us about these wonderful plants.

Within the Cactus World Detlev has travelled extensively in Argentina, Bolivia, Paraguay and Brazil.
Attachments
Detlev-Metzing-zoom-1.jpg
Detlev-Metzing-zoom-1.jpg (34.56 KiB) Viewed 1521 times
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

Topic: Euphorbias II: Some spiny and spineless shrubs with Bob Webb
Time: Tuesday 19 December 2023 at 7.30pm (GMT)

Meeting ID: 816 9595 8972

Passcode: bcss

Join Zoom Meeting: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81695958972?p ... FoMnRHUT09

Following his great talk in 2020, we are excited to welcome back Bob Webb to give us the second talk in his series on Euphorbia. This is probably the largest and most diverse succulent genus and we will hear from a leading world authority on the subject. This really is a talk that should not be missed.

Dr Robert H Webb has worked on long-term changes in natural ecosystems of the south-west United States since 1976. He has degrees in engineering, and environmental earth sciences, and a geosciences PhD (University of Arizona, 1985). Since 1985, he has been a research hydrologist with the US Geological Survey in Tucson (retired in 2013) and an adjunct faculty member of the School of Natural Resources and the Department of Hydrology and Water Resources at the University of Arizona. Bob does interdisciplinary work to attempt to understand long-term change in the desert regions of the United States and Mexico. He has authored or edited 15 books and about 250 publications, and given around 400 presentations in his 45-year career.

Bob has been growing succulent plants and cacti for nearly 40 years and has been the owner of Arid Lands Greenhouses in Tucson, Arizona, since 2006. For the last 20 years, he and his wife Toni have travelled extensively in Africa and the Arabian Peninsula looking for succulent plants. Webb is the former chairman of the International Sansevieria Society. He has described and named 15 species or subspecies of plants, including two Agave species from Baja California, Mexico, and 13 Sansevieria species, subspecies, or varieties from East Africa and Somalia.
13.jpg
12.jpg
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Aiko »

Also tonight, in about an hour, there will be a zoom talk from the Mammillaria Society.

The Mammillaria Society: December Zoom talk – Kadenicarpus, Rapicactus and Acharagma with Rob Stevenson
Thursday, 14 December 2023 at 8.00pm (GMT)

Join Zoom Meeting using the following details:
Meeting ID: 840 0797 7082
Passcode: 172109

Rob has been growing cacti for around 45 years and joined the NCSS in 1980. Currently, his collection is focused largely on Mexican cacti. He has held the Plant Heritage National Collection status for Turbinicarpus in the past. However, he is no longer involved with Plant Heritage but still has the same collection, consisting of approximately 3ft ×16ft (0.9m × 4.9m) of greenhouse bench.

Following on from Rob’s very successful talk last year on Turbinicarpus, part two will cover the genera Kadenicarpus, Rapicactus and Acharagma. The talk will cover all of the accepted species/subspecies and a number of the other ‘names’ which are commonly found in cultivation. Hybrids will also be mentioned.
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

Don't forget the last BCSS zoom of the year
Tina

Bucks, UK
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

Will tomorrow's talk be recorded? I have a work meeting that clashes unfortunately.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

Hi Edds,
not as far as I know,
Tina

Bucks, UK
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

Oh well! Unfortunately I can't get out of the other meeting! Hope everyone else enjoys it! Thanks for replying Tina.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

Topic: The Best from Haworthias in the Eastern Cape - part 2 with Jakub Jilemicky
Time: Tuesday 9 January 2024 at 7.30pm (GMT)
Meeting ID: 864 2566 5449
Passcode: bcss
Join Zoom Meeting:
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/86425665449?p ... pUUWo2UT09

We are so proud to welcome back Jakub Jilemicky, our friend and very popular speaker, to start the New Year and to continue the journey that we started with him last year.

In this talk we will continue our journey through the Eastern Cape. Jakub will take us on a journey from Baviaanskloof in the West up to Umtata in the East, showing the richness of succulents growing there. Last time he focused on Haworthias and in this talk Jakub will show plants from the genera Haworthiopsis, Astroloba and Gasteria. We are also promised photos of many other genera. This will without doubt be a special talk to join.

Jakub has spent more than twenty years travelling throughout Africa, focusing on South Africa. He has seen most Haworthia species and varieties but there is still space to see more − that's why he keeps coming back to this magnificent country. His mission is to spread the Haworthia virus across the globe; his main tool is his website www.haworthia-gasteria.com

Jakub is an international speaker and has presented talks for many societies in Europe, Africa, Australia and Asia. His photos have also been used in several books and publications. Jakub says, “But the best would be if you join my talk for BCSS and you will see the Haworthia magic with your own eyes!”
jakub.jpg
Tina

Bucks, UK
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

Meeting has been cancelled!!! :ban:

See you all later!
Ed
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

That's really great news, see ya then.
Tina

Bucks, UK