Don't forget the On-Line talk on tuesday

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Aiko
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Don't forget the On-Line talk on tuesday

Post by Aiko »

Chris L wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:01 pm
Aiko wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:33 pm
Tina wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:51 pm This talk will be live from his greenhouses
Will this literately really be from the greenhouse?
In all the talks online, it would be only the second time for me. The MSG had a talk from a greenhouse somewhere early 2021. The wifi connection wasn't great then, though, which you could tell being part of the audience... I hope this will run smoother.
Russell Wagner - January 2021.
Ah, thanks, I was looking for the name! I knew it was an American. The time difference helped getting images from a wel lid greenhouse while for European viewers it was a dark gloomy evening.

(Now saying that, I do wonder how bright the greenhouse will be for the talk at the end. I suspect it starts to get a bit dark in the UK around 20:30 or so too...)
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

TUESDAY, 20 SEPTEMBER 2022 AT 19:30 UTC+01
Roger Ferryman – Eriosyce In habitat and cultivation
Meeting ID: 810 4740 8780
Passcode: bcss
roger.jpg
Roger Ferryman’s interest in Eriosyce goes back to the early days of The Chileans when the plants were known better as Neoporteria, Neochilenia etc.
This culminated in a trip to Chile in 1982 when he joined the late Adriana Hoffmann on a field trip in preparation for her book ‘Cactaceas En La Flora de Chile’ (published in1989) a trip that was to last over 3 months and sowed the seeds of a long-lasting love affair with all Chilean flora.
Since then, Roger has made more than thirty field trips to Chile and or Argentina to study plants in the wild. His annual trips interrupted only when he lived in South Africa for 4 years followed by 3 years in Texas where Roger took the opportunity to visit habitats of very different flora. His latest trip in February & March this year marked the 40th anniversary of trips to Chile.
Names have changed many times for this group but fortunately the plants have not, and the appeal is as strong as ever. Whatever label is attached to the plant in our collections has no impact on plants in the wild, but much has changed in forty years with mining, agriculture and habitation having a major impact on plants in the wild. This talk promises to be a fascinating celebration of the genera.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

TUESDAY, 4 OCTOBER 2022 AT 19:30 UTC+01
Andreas Hofacker -The Fascination of Notocactus - a misunderstood genus
Meeting ID: 844 3060 9949
Passcode: bcss

Andreas Hofacker has been collecting cacti as a hobby for almost 45 years. His first cactus was a Notocactus ottonis. Since then, Andreas has remained faithful to this genus. His collecting focus is on the Brazilian cacti and thus also the Notos. His first trip to South America took Andreas to the Brazilian state of Rio Grande do Sul to see Notocacti in habitat. Since then, he has been able to observe them in habitat several times, including in Uruguay.
Unjustly, Notocacti are often considered old-fashioned and boring. In this talk Andreas will show us the diversity of the (old) genus Notocactus. We will see the plants both in their natural habitats and in cultivation. In addition, Andreas will introduce us to his cultivation methods for these beautiful plants.
andreas.jpg
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

I liked the talk on Notocactus. As the presenter said the Notocactus plants were outside from April until October, it inspires me to also have my Notocactus outside. Currently the few I have are in the greenhouse.

Next to my greenhouse (which is not nearby my own house), I have a balcony with two stages of (mainly) African bulbs, some Agave and one Tillandsia. That way I can enjoy some succulence in my own house too. They are outside from March until early November usually and they get full sun from around 12:00/13:00. I have room for at least one more stages, so I was thinking of filling that one up with Notocactus. Good to know Notocactus will probably benefit from this over a greenhouse.
IMG_0132 corrected.JPG
(I have no idea why the picture is upside down. I don't live in Australia!) - corrected orientation (Tony R)
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

Glad you enjoyed it Aiko,
we still need more suggestions for future speakers, please let us know if you have suggestions for candidates or subjects or offers for a talk :grin:
Tina

Bucks, UK
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

Tina wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:14 am Glad you enjoyed it Aiko,
we still need more suggestions for future speakers, please let us know if you have suggestions for candidates or subjects or offers for a talk :grin:
I'd love a virtual tour around your greenhouses and collection Tina along with some Agave growing pointers! :grin:
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

Ha ha, No I don't think so I'm not a natural speaker, you & Jon have an open invite.
Tina

Bucks, UK
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

Tina wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:56 am Ha ha, No I don't think so I'm not a natural speaker, you & Jon have an open invite.
Thank you Tina, we will definitely take you up on that.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Acid John
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Acid John »

Mesemb zoom tonight 7.30pm.
Meeting Id 88260235854
Passcode mesemb
Andy Young talk
Acid John
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

Don't forget its our very own Antun giving the talk tonight
Tina

Bucks, UK