Don't forget the On-Line talk on tuesday

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Pattock
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Re: Don't forget the On-Line talk on tuesday

Post by Pattock »

MatDz wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:35 am I am not a mesembryanthemomane myself (but I germinated and subsequently killed a few pots, so am heading there!), but about one I guess - I remember reading in CactusWorld how Terry S. was preparing his Conophytums to shows doing exactly that :mrgreen:
I thought the aesthetic of shows was to have the plant as close as possible to its optimum appearance in the wild.
Asclepiomaniac. Armchair ethnobotanist.
Occasional, eclectic blogger:
http://pattheplants.blogspot.com/
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by el48tel »

Pattock wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:05 am An excellent presentation, as you say. However, I would say Ian was showing how to make lovely photographs of your plants. As he said, he is selling dreams.

Recording your plants would be my mugshot style - one from the front, one from the side and one of the scene of the crime. Remember to include all the aliases in the description.

Trimming the beautiful, protective dried leaf sheaths from a conophytum so that it looks better? Comments from mesembryanthemomanes, please. The plants in my dreams have all sorts of strange and wonderful forms.

I might dust the next plant I photograph. Or at least blow on it to dislodge any debris.
We see plants (& animals) differently. Some people find the need for verbiage. Others can, in one image, tell the whole story, accurately and with some interpretation which others describe as artistic.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Pattock
BCSS Member

Post by Pattock »

el48tel wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:44 am We see plants (& animals) differently. Some people find the need for verbiage. Others can, in one image, tell the whole story, accurately and with some interpretation which others describe as artistic.
If you manicure or, Heaven forfend, Photoshop your plant, you aren't telling the whole story and you aren't being accurate. I have spent too much time with botanical articles and punks, hippies and goths to like the glossy Sunday supplement kitsch aesthetic of artistic plant photography. De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Pattock wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:38 pm
el48tel wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:44 am We see plants (& animals) differently. Some people find the need for verbiage. Others can, in one image, tell the whole story, accurately and with some interpretation which others describe as artistic.
If you manicure or, Heaven forfend, Photoshop your plant, you aren't telling the whole story and you aren't being accurate. I have spent too much time with botanical articles and punks, hippies and goths to like the glossy Sunday supplement kitsch aesthetic of artistic plant photography. De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum.
Your opinion
Not fact
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Don't forget the talk this Tuesday
Topic: Karen Zimmerman - Aloes on my Mind: Exploring Aloe Hybrids One Generation at a Time
Time: Tuesday 1 February 2022 at 7:30pm (GMT/UCT)

Meeting ID: 867 1666 1721
Passcode: bcss

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/86716661721?p ... hyUzlsQT09

Karen is the succulent propagator for the Huntington Botanical Gardens Desert Collections, a huge potted collection outside of the public gardens. She has worked at the Huntington for nearly 20 years. She has always been drawn to growing plants and at the age of 10 a local nursery gave her an envelope of pine seeds, and she can still remember the deep excitement and awe when they germinated!

Karen still gets that same ‘Christmas morning’ excitement when a batch of new Aloe hybrid babies germinate. For her it is even better when they start to develop some character, often very early on with the first true leaf. Despite careful breeding for specific traits such as colour, size or toothiness, unexpected anomalies can appear in any breeding, especially given how complex these Aloe hybrids have become with generations of species and crosses in the mix. The standouts are, of course, the ones she craves!

In this talk Karen starts with an overview of the genus Aloe, distribution, and diversity of species. She talks a little about the work of hybridisers up to the present, with a special mention of Kelly Griffin, who has been her inspiration. Karen will show parent plants and offspring, some that became good enough to name and distribute, and others that become disappointments, and will also show some promising babies and future possibilities.
karen.jpg
karen.jpg (264.61 KiB) Viewed 1016 times
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Don't forget the talk tomorrow
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Pattock
BCSS Member

Post by Pattock »

Don't forget the talk today
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

Thank you!
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Pattock
BCSS Member

Post by Pattock »

Phil_SK wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:21 pm Thank you!
My pleasure!
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

Great talk with some amazing hybrids. Thank you Karen and the team that organised the talk. As Ralph said, I hope more make their way over here soon. Roll on Jeremy Spath in a fortnight!
Ed

BCSS member 53038