Don't forget the On-Line talk on tuesday

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Phil_SK
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Re: Don't forget the On-Line talk on tuesday

Post by Phil_SK »

Jeremy Spath - Inspiring Agaves

Time: Tuesday 15 February 2022 at 7:30pm (GMT/UCT)
Meeting ID: 826 2111 9837
Passcode: bcss
Join Zoom Meeting https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82621119837?p ... Y1eW5oUT09

Jeremy Spath has felt inspired to see agaves in their natural habitat ever since his first field trip more than 15 years ago. After several years with the San Diego Botanic Garden, he began working for Rancho Soledad Nursery in Rancho Santa Fe, California. There he worked with hybridising agaves to create new and beautiful plants for the nursery. Now, Jeremy owns his own nursery, Hidden Agave, in Escondido, California where he continues to grow, hybridise, and tissue culture agaves; as well as continually seek his muse and the endless habitats where they reside.

Jeremy also recently published his new book ‘Agaves: Species, Cultivars & Hybrids’ which has 1,500 images and information about these stunningly beautiful and architectural plants. The book is a sweeping review of the genus that dives deep into the world of agaves both cultivated and in their native habitat and is co-authored with Jeff Moore of Solana Succulents. Jeremy takes great interest in cultivars and hybrids as well as many newly discovered ones. This talk covers his search for the beautiful Agave habitats of the Americas. It additionally covers growing them in cultivation, with a particular emphasis on selecting exceptional clones.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
edds
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by edds »

Great talk and I mentioned it in passing on Agaveville forum and someone has asked if it was recorded? I said that I didn't think it was but I would check - does anyone know for definite?

Thanks,
Ed
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Post by Paul in Essex »

The recording light was on, don't know if it came out. I don't think I have ever seen such fabulous quality habitat photographs in a presentation before. Stunning. Makes me even keener to get my grubby hands on the book - now shipped, apparently!

One very small thing - in the q&a afterwards he was pushed out of his knowledge base to recommend some agaves to grow outdoors in the UK and a couple I would not agree with, having actually done it. Then again he did lace his replies with lots of caveats and disclaimers.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

Thanks Paul, hopefully one of the team will be able to say if it is viewable for non-members or not (or maybe they should have to join to see it!)

My copy is on the way too. Next Thursday hopefully!
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Hi Chaps,
It was recorded but for Jeremy's use not available otherwise,
SORRY.
It was a super talk wasn't it, not that I'm biased :lol: . It must be so easy growing them in your garden & not having to worry about cold, snow , hail etc.
I've had agave striata in the garden unprotected for 3+ years now
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

Thanks Tina. It was a great talk and nice to see the habitat photos. Hopefully we might find a way for Jeremy to share some of those Kichiokan in the wild photos he spoke about - would certainly be interesting to see!
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

xaobin.png
Topic: Xiaobin Yao – Interest in Cacti and Succulents in China
Time: Tuesday 1 March 2022 at 7:30pm (GMT/UCT)
Meeting ID: 857 5108 8824
Passcode: bcss
Join Zoom Meeting https://us02web.zoom.us/j/85751088824?p ... Rad3J1UT09
The Chinese Cactus and Succulent Union is the first national Society for cactus and succulent enthusiasts in China. It was founded in 2017 by the Zhangzhou Longhai Cactus and Succulent Botanical Garden and was aimed at the dissemination of knowledge and information. As a young Society, they currently have around 400 members and publish a monthly journal. On behalf of the Chinese Cactus and Succulent Union, Xiaobin Yao will a talk about ‘Interest in Cacti and Succulents in China over the Last 30 Years’.
The presentation is divided into three parts. The first part looks at the development of this activity in China. The history of the cultivation of cacti and succulents in China can be traced back to around 350 years ago. However, the main development countrywide started just a few decades ago, which matches the economic development of China. The second part will cover popular cultivars and will include why cultivars dominate the market in China. In the final part, some images from private collectors will be shared, which will give us a glimpse at what Chinese collectors grow. We anticipate that this will give us a better and clearer view about this hobby in China.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Tina wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:30 pm In the final part, some images from private collectors will be shared, which will give us a glimpse at what Chinese collectors grow. We anticipate that this will give us a better and clearer view about this hobby in China.
Somehow I get the feeling this part might cause some disturbance among mesemb enthusiasts...
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

Aiko wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:25 pm
Tina wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:30 pm In the final part, some images from private collectors will be shared, which will give us a glimpse at what Chinese collectors grow. We anticipate that this will give us a better and clearer view about this hobby in China.
Somehow I get the feeling this part might cause some disturbance among mesemb enthusiasts...
I had that exact feeling right after seeing the announcement, but I also have hopes that both sides are aware of the problem and the audience will avoid asking questions unrelated to the topic of the talk.
Mat
Pattock
BCSS Member

Post by Pattock »

Aiko wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:25 pm
China is a huge country with a population of 1.4 billion people. Would you prejudge a talk by a resident of one of the other known end markets for large numbers of illegal plants, such as the USA, UK or Netherlands?
Asclepiomaniac. Armchair ethnobotanist.
Occasional, eclectic blogger:
http://pattheplants.blogspot.com/