BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: August 2020: 'Windows'

Post by el48tel »

Haworthia cymbiformis  (2).jpg
Haworthia cymbiformis (I think)
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
MatDz
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by MatDz »

Okay, I bet that's not what you all expected!

Monilaria moniliformis seedlings and their next round of leaves (?) forming:

Mat
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

A few to add; a couple of Mesembs
pellucidum.JPG
Fenest.JPG
Fenest.JPG (307.35 KiB) Viewed 2745 times
and some Haworthias
Haw1.JPG
Haw2.JPG
Haw2.JPG (265.79 KiB) Viewed 2745 times
Haw3.JPG
Haw4.JPG
Haw5.JPG
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
Echinocactus123
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH DEVON

Post by Echinocactus123 »

Hi all, thank you for all your entrys for this months photo competition, MikeT's fantastic photographs of fantastic plants, the mesems especially, and JaneO's great photographs of her plants which truly catch the light fantastically. el48tel had some fantastic, eye catching photographs. Jim_Mercers photo was just beautiful, the backround, the lighting, the plant. It has been difficult to judge but I have to pick the very fascinating entry by.... MatDz, although it didnt have a blank backround, what it did have was a very interesting photo, to be able to see leaves forming is a beutiful thing, so there it is. Thank you to everyones entries as each and every one of them really looked fantastic, so well done. Over to you, MatDz for September.

Thanks,
Henry,

A 15 year old with a love for Slow growing cacti, highland nepenthes and bulbophyllum orchids.
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

Echinocactus123 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:36 pm Hi all, thank you for all your entrys for this months photo competition, MikeT's fantastic photographs of fantastic plants, the mesems especially, and JaneO's great photographs of her plants which truly catch the light fantastically. el48tel had some fantastic, eye catching photographs. Jim_Mercers photo was just beautiful, the backround, the lighting, the plant. It has been difficult to judge but I have to pick the very fascinating entry by.... MatDz, although it didnt have a blank backround, what it did have was a very interesting photo, to be able to see leaves forming is a beutiful thing, so there it is. Thank you to everyones entries as each and every one of them really looked fantastic, so well done. Over to you, MatDz for September.

Thanks,
That's... surprising, to say the least! Thank you!

A bit of backstory: I was following the competition evolving and with every added photo my jaw was dropping lower and lower - I think you summarised all of the entries perfectly, but especially all the stunning Haworthias caught my eye! This funny shot of M. moniliformis was a total wild card entry I must admit, I was pricking them up (which ended with a rather mixed outcome, but that's another story, fingers crossed they and Frithia pulchra seedlings will make it through) late at night and almost accidentally looked through a pair of seedlings directly at my lamp - I was quite amazed with what I saw and immediately thought about the "windows" competition ;)

I will create a new post tomorrow, need to find a proper topic without repeating previous ones.

Taking the opportunity, MikeT, how do you keep the plants potted so deep alive in Sheffield (yeah, I snooped through your profile!)?
MikeT wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:20 pm
Fenest.JPG
Haw3.JPG
(The above seems to not be working, but I highlighted the Fenestraria and the third, dark leaved Hawortia.
Mat
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

MatDz wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:01 pm Taking the opportunity, MikeT, how do you keep the plants potted so deep alive in Sheffield (yeah, I snooped through your profile!)?
They're in far too good a condition to be growing in my greenhouse in Sheffield :sad: . The first 2 (Conophytum pellucidum and Fenestraria aurantiaca) are in habitat, not pots, and the Haworthias are Gerhard Marx's, in his nursery in South Africa. He has so many stunning plants; anyone travelling in South Africa who has the opportunity should aim to visit.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

MikeT wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:39 pm
MatDz wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:01 pm Taking the opportunity, MikeT, how do you keep the plants potted so deep alive in Sheffield (yeah, I snooped through your profile!)?
They're in far too good a condition to be growing in my greenhouse in Sheffield :sad: . The first 2 (Conophytum pellucidum and Fenestraria aurantiaca) are in habitat, not pots, and the Haworthias are Gerhard Marx's, in his nursery in South Africa. He has so many stunning plants; anyone travelling in South Africa who has the opportunity should aim to visit.
I knew it! Thank you for confirming my suspicions, they looked "potted" way too deep for our weather. Great photos and I'm jealous for even just seeing the plants!
Mat