Overwintering cacti outside tips

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
NaZzAtAzEr
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTH SURREY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Overwintering cacti outside tips

Post by NaZzAtAzEr »

I'll have a new place for it which is in the sunniest part of the garden and it will be very protected with a tall fence and shed making a corner. It won't get the morning sun but the afternoon and evening.
edds
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by edds »

Then, assuming you're in the UK and not a particularly cold area, I'd leave as is or maybe bubblewrap the inside to help even out the temperatures a bit. If we have a winter like the last one (unlikely but you never know) it will probably not go below freezing. If we do get a cold spell (and you are able to) you could move it against the house wall so it gets the advantage of any heat coming out of the brickwork.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Diane
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Diane »

I agree with Ed, this heater is paraffin-fuelled, and will give off as much liquid as it consumes in vapour. Not to mention the problems getting hold of paraffin and the cost (which I guess will be high with the ongoing high cost of fuel.)

If you leave them in the unheated cold frame, you could always sling a few sheets of newspaper over them if the nights are cold.
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!