May 2017 - May Blossom
GiacomoP
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: January 2021 Namaqualand in my Greenhouse

Post by GiacomoP »

Bulbines are quite simple to grow, may be not all of species. Even raising from seeds is not that complicate. Bulbines often flower during the first two years (some of then after 5-6 months) and if you have, at least, two plants you can get your own seeds. Given for granted that they are winter growing plants and do not have the permanence of cacti, in fact, they disappear during summer (when they Rest In Pot) to come back in autumn. A fascinating cycle, in common with other South African (and non) bulbs. Well drained soil (50% sand or so) and a lot of light keep them compact and nice.Anyway, in the forum there are people that mastered the art of growing bulbines much more than me!!!
HaoBao
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District

Post by HaoBao »

Some that I think are acceptable, please say if they’re not. (I’d be amazed if I spelled these correctly)

Namibia Ponderosa.
Lapidaria Margaretae.
Cheiridopsis Vansylii.
Adromischus Hallii, variegated.
Schwanestia Tribinieri.
Adromischus Hallii, Aurus Mountain.
Attachments
BB79B6C0-2B7B-4E76-A2B0-C68859506240.jpeg
D876CD19-21AE-43D1-A19D-5BB747D5AC80.jpeg
6C4E0FC8-1633-4CE7-A592-38F16C8EA086.jpeg
2FF1756E-7486-4AD6-BBF6-90447B45B8D6.jpeg
1843CD4A-1BE2-4558-BD1B-3B0EF5DA936D.jpeg
91FEDCC1-2811-4078-80A6-10313BE71582.jpeg
Plant sales: www.CentralSucculents.etsy.com
Instagram: www.instagram.com/CentralSucculents
Reddit: www.reddit.com/u/CentralSucculents

All my plants are kept indoors and I started collecting in August 2018. Favourites are Pachyphytum, Echeveria, Haworthia, Mesembs and oddball Cacti.
Ernie
BCSS Member
Branch: TEESSIDE

Post by Ernie »

Crassula namaquensis. A clues in the name where its from so it wont get NAS. :grin: photo taken26/1/2021

P1010469.JPG
'Eternity is but a a brief moment away'
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Jim_Mercer »

After a lot of checking in my Namaqualand book ( including the map that came with it) and even more searching via google especially for some of the names, no one has been awarded a NAS.

I did watch the recent zoom meeting on showing and judging but not sure how much of that applies to these entries as this is a Photo Competition not a plant show.

Aiko - I did like the 3rd picture of conophytum burgeri but usual problem with close up pictures of getting enough of the subject in focus, I would try a focus stack

Ali baba - not sure what it is (pachypodium namaquanum?) but short focal length of phone camera has helped get most of the image in focus (looked at exif data)

GiacomoP - Bulbine haworthioides is not among the bulbines in my book but habitat from Llifle puts in on the map. Just need a bit of quartz gravel to get the habitat look (almost back to the judging zoom meeting which seemed to make some form of top dressing a requirement for most points for presentation)

HaoBao - I would try and seperate the plants before taking the pictures - I even keep some pieces of card in my greenhouse to put behind plants when taking photographs

Ernie - very nice pot which I think is supposed to be ignored when judging but nicely staged plant, but looking clsely at the picture some the the flowers a blurred and there is one missing as one stem goes past the top of the image (was this a deliberate crop ?) There are a few ppictures of this plant in my book and it would appear that growing in the UK has produced a much paler plant than those in habitat (but it does look like my plant)

This month's winner is Aiko - with some bigger pieces of quartz the picture of Conophytum burgeri in flower would match image 140 on page 46 of my book
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Same plant (Crassula ausensis ssp ausensis), just different approaches to taking photograph

In Greenhouse
on staging
on staging
add card
with card
with card
move plant
move plant
move plant
bring plant indoors with "proper" photo background
take indoors
take indoors
focus stack
web-1473stack1.jpg
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Jim_Mercer wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:01 pm This month's winner is Aiko
Yeehaw!
I will think about an interesting subject for February.
Jim_Mercer wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:01 pm with some bigger pieces of quartz the picture of Conophytum burgeri in flower would match image 140 on page 46 of my book
I do like my homemade mix of loam mixed with pebbles / rocks and rough sand too for many of my smaller plants.
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

Jim_Mercer wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:01 pm After a lot of checking in my Namaqualand book ( including the map that came with it) and even more searching via google especially for some of the names, no one has been awarded a NAS.

I did watch the recent zoom meeting on showing and judging but not sure how much of that applies to these entries as this is a Photo Competition not a plant show.

Aiko - I did like the 3rd picture of conophytum burgeri but usual problem with close up pictures of getting enough of the subject in focus, I would try a focus stack

Ali baba - not sure what it is (pachypodium namaquanum?) but short focal length of phone camera has helped get most of the image in focus (looked at exif data)

GiacomoP - Bulbine haworthioides is not among the bulbines in my book but habitat from Llifle puts in on the map. Just need a bit of quartz gravel to get the habitat look (almost back to the judging zoom meeting which seemed to make some form of top dressing a requirement for most points for presentation)

HaoBao - I would try and seperate the plants before taking the pictures - I even keep some pieces of card in my greenhouse to put behind plants when taking photographs

Ernie - very nice pot which I think is supposed to be ignored when judging but nicely staged plant, but looking clsely at the picture some the the flowers a blurred and there is one missing as one stem goes past the top of the image (was this a deliberate crop ?) There are a few ppictures of this plant in my book and it would appear that growing in the UK has produced a much paler plant than those in habitat (but it does look like my plant)

This month's winner is Aiko - with some bigger pieces of quartz the picture of Conophytum burgeri in flower would match image 140 on page 46 of my book
I wish I took some photographs of my Namaqualand plants just to receive such constructive feedback!

Which book are you referring to at the beginning?
Mat
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

Aiko wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:41 pm
Jim_Mercer wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:01 pm with some bigger pieces of quartz the picture of Conophytum burgeri in flower would match image 140 on page 46 of my book
I do like my homemade mix of loam mixed with pebbles / rocks and rough sand too for many of my smaller plants.
The size of particles and overall appearance suit the Conos very well!
Mat
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

Jim_Mercer wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:23 pm Same plant (Crassula ausensis ssp ausensis), just different approaches to taking photograph
[...]

focus stack
Is the blurred area around the plant on the image below caused by the focus stacking?

(It's the last comment in a row, I promise!)
Mat
GiacomoP
BCSS Member

Post by GiacomoP »

Aiko !!! Great! My compliments for the plants and the pictures!!
And thanks to Jim for the advice, I will try to find immediately some quarzitic gravel !
About your photo sequences is a well taken example how to improve the quality of a picture beside the beauty of the plants. I really appreciated a lot !
Giac