Hello from Plymouth

New members, please take the time to introduce yourself and your collection.
jamest
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Hello from Plymouth

Post by jamest »

Hi - I'm just just starting out - my aim for 2021 is to grow from seed. A massive Aloe at work sparked my interest which started out as tiny plant that our Australian contractor gifted us that is now massive! I'm missing seeing this wonderful plant now we're all working from home.

I have a couple of Aloe polyphylla seeds that I ordered from eBay probably a year ago after a colleague introduced them to me, but I haven't been brave enough to germinate them having read how tricky success can be! I'm eagerly awaiting my membership details to see what I can order from the seed list.

Looking forward to chatting with everyone.

Thanks,

James
James, Plymouth
New member interested in seed raising - would love an Aloe Polyphylla
BCSS member: 53677
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Re: Hello from Plymouth

Post by el48tel »

Welcome James.
You'll find there's a thread running currently for  Aloe polyphylla seed germination.
And yes .... there's much discussion on this forum.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

Welcome James, I'm sure you will find plenty of interesting discussions here, and it will be good if you can get to your local branch meetings when these can resume. I hope someone is looking after that Aloe at work! :welc:
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

Hello James. As Terry said there's a few of us wrestling with Aloe polyphylla germination. Where did you get your seeds from? There are some unscrupulous sellers around.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
jamest
Registered Guest

Post by jamest »

Thanks all for the warm welcome.

Pleased to say the work aloe is being looked after at a colleague's home. There was some fierce competition as to who would adopt it and then suddenly it was smuggled out by moonlight!

Branch meetings sound good for the future.

The seeds came from Scampton Succulents on eBay - looked back through my email and it was actually August 2019 - so maybe they won't fair too well now. Following the new thread on polyphylla - some great advice there.

Haven't heard anything back re membership yet - sent payment on PayPal Friday- don't know how long it usually takes or if I should raise with anyone.

Thanks,

James
James, Plymouth
New member interested in seed raising - would love an Aloe Polyphylla
BCSS member: 53677
Acid John
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Acid John »

Hello James, you don't get a reply for the membership. It just turns up, odd in this day and age.
Acid John
GregC
BCSS Member
Branch: PLYMOUTH

Post by GregC »

Hi James, also a new member and Plymouth is the closest branch as well living on the edge of Dartmoor. I am really new to cactus; so a complete new journey and hobby for me. I have a very small collection that I mainly keep in a cold house, bringing a few inside to the conservatory to enjoy them when flowering.
Greg
BCSS Member:53842