May 2017 - May Blossom
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LIVERPOOL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: March 2021 - Neglected, forlorn

Post by Jim_Mercer »

I thought I had found a plant with a cobweb, unfortuately the web was also attached to the haworthia next to this Gasteria rawlinsonii
Gasteria rawlinsonii
Gasteria rawlinsonii
Original label had Baviaanskloof on the front and this on the back
web-1877.jpg
This doesn't look like an EvJ collection number - the database shows 7139 and 7799 for this plant and google didn't produce anything useful when I entered EvJ 95-30 - only result that included a gasteria was my forum post in 2012 https://www.forum.bcss.org.uk/viewtopic ... 0&start=30
Acid John
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Acid John »

Not a ISI number, that particular one is a Madagascan Euphorbia.
Acid John
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Acid John wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:27 pm Not a ISI number, that particular one is a Madagascan Euphorbia.
Thanks - I had forgotten that the old ISI numbers were in that format so I've looked ay my old CD of ISI listings and the only Ernst van Jaarsveld Gasteria I found was ISI 99-51. Gasteria glomerata
Tony R
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by Tony R »

The EVJ 95-nn numbers signify seeds offered by the Haworthia Society provided by Ernst van Jaarsveld in 1995.
I still have many plants raised from this seed offering in my collection today.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Tony R wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:58 pm The EVJ 95-nn numbers signify seeds offered by the Haworthia Society provided by Ernst van Jaarsveld in 1995.
I still have many plants raised from this seed offering in my collection today.
Thank you 9 year mystery solved!
Ernie
BCSS Member
Branch: TEESSIDE

Post by Ernie »

Here's 2 very different Veltheimia plants I recovered from under the staging complete with a variety of critters. Both were in a very bad state, the one in the photo that looks dead is how the other one looked until I stuck it in a basin full of water for a day(with some feed) 'Lazarus' is actually starting to flower whereas his brother is need of urgent treatment. I know they may get NAS but we all grow this plant and the condition fit
P1010574.JPG
s in with the theme for the month.
P1010576.JPG
'Eternity is but a a brief moment away'
HomeForABookLover
BCSS Member
Branch: GLASGOW

Post by HomeForABookLover »

This is my first ever entry to one of these competitions. I'm new to BCSS, having recently returned to the hobby after a prolonged gap. I therefore feel quite qualified to share neglected plants. This plant has just had its 14th birthday:
IMG-20210316-WA0009.jpg
This is my Echinocereus morricalii. After 14 years it should be a huge clump of lush green stems with large purple flowers. Instead it has somehow survived over 10 years of neglect. Its suffered from drought, overwatering, mould, rot, frost, etiolation and mealybugs. I re-potted it in Autumn, and it promptly sent up two new shoots. Hopefully I can retain its battle scarred character and nurse it back to health in time for its 15th birthday.
I'm inspired by and searching for Ledebouria, Drimiopsis and related bulbs and cultivation advice. I draw pleasure from a small collection of Turbinicarpus, Eriocyce, Lophophora, Gymnocalycium, and Rebutia.
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Aiko »

Not so sure if these will qualify, but I like to post them anyway.

Copiapoa cuprea. It is quite death. I gave it some water just to see if it will plump up anyway. I have seen plant miracles before. But it is one of those plants that still looks good even though it is death.
IMG_0049.jpg

I do like the colour of this Mammillaria species. I kept it in the greenhouse this winter just to see if it is hardy, so it was unprotected from the frost. It had to endure temperatures of up to -15C in February. It started to colour up this way with all the purple tints. The other two plants of this unnamed Mammillaria I have are still their normal greenish colour even though they had to endure the same conditions. It should still be alive so I guess the test was successful. I am curious to see if the colour will chance back to greenish during the summer.
IMG_0046.jpg
Echinocactus123
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH DEVON

Post by Echinocactus123 »

An old Haworthia sp. given to me by someone who was going to chuck it out growing a brand new flower spike
Attachments
20210330_182016.jpg
Henry,

A 15 year old with a love for Slow growing cacti, highland nepenthes and bulbophyllum orchids.
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

I'm picking Jim's Kalanchoe tomentosa (first pic) as the winner! Despite multiple ailments, the plant has a certain grace with its alternately leaning stem, and this makes for an attractive photo composition.
Jim_Mercer wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:39 pm This Kalanchoe tomentosa looked slightly better before I moved it so that I could photograph it with a black background as the top growth appeared to be upright but in reality it was being supported by the glass it was leaning on. A couple of leaves that dropped off are trying to produce new plants
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia