March 2021 - Neglected, forlorn

May 2017 - May Blossom
Phil_SK
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

March 2021 - Neglected, forlorn

Post by Phil_SK »

I'd like to see your photos of plants that, as the main growing season for most things dawns, you might resolve to look after a bit better if you were so inclined. Go and have a rummage in the corners of your greenhouse or your least favoured windowsills or in the undergrowth of your rockeries and find me a plant or three that are still somehow beautiful despite the cobwebs and crusty bits.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
fero
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: March 2021 - Neglected, forlorn

Post by fero »

Hello
this is from my rockery.
Attachments
IMG_20210305_094242635~2.jpg
IMG_20210305_094249238~2.jpg
Acid John
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Acid John »

Aeonium 'Cyclops' forgotten in a cold greenhouse over winter.
Cyclops
Cyclops
Acid John
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Slightly distorted view from the very wide angle camera in my phone. Picture is from last year before I did my lockdown re-potting. I managed to re-pot most of my haworthias (but didn't give them there new names) so there are still some neglected plants that might get a photo taken for this month's competition before a re-pot
web-123934.jpg
One from last year
Gasteria "Little Warty"
Gasteria "Little Warty"
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

PSX_20210307_150209.jpg
A rescued Lithops which had spent summer 2020 outside at the mercy of slugs and snails
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Today's view including some neglected plants
Greenhouse
Greenhouse
First candidate for a bit of attention - this Cotyledon ladismithensis has been in a 2" pot for several years
Before
Before
Now in a larger pot with a new label, the Brother P-touch tapes last longer than some of the plastic labels I have been using so I am now using aluminium ones.
After
After
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Phil_SK wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:35 pm find me a plant or three that are still somehow beautiful despite the cobwebs and crusty bits.
Does it have to be alive?

As mentioned in previous post here is one of my plastic labels that has succumbed to the sun - the original label from Rene Geissler has remained intact and although the label has faded the ink Rene used is still black as is the P-touch label.
web-1822.jpg
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

Jim_Mercer wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:37 pmDoes it have to be alive?
Hmm, yes let's try not to cross into what could be an entirely different competition theme! :idea:
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
MatDz
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by MatDz »

Jim_Mercer wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:37 pm
Phil_SK wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:35 pm find me a plant or three that are still somehow beautiful despite the cobwebs and crusty bits.
Does it have to be alive?

As mentioned in previous post here is one of my plastic labels that has succumbed to the sun - the original label from Rene Geissler has remained intact and although the label has faded the ink Rene used is still black as is the P-touch label.

web-1822.jpg
Any idea why C. pyramidalis & Co. do that? I try to not overwater, but water enough, keep them in a nice, gritty mix with some water retentive Sanicat in, and still, one day, they decide to go all crispy like yours. I think they just like doing so.
Mat
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member

Post by Jim_Mercer »

MatDz wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:54 am Any idea why C. pyramidalis & Co. do that? I try to not overwater, but water enough, keep them in a nice, gritty mix with some water retentive Sanicat in, and still, one day, they decide to go all crispy like yours. I think they just like doing so.
All I can say is they usually die for me but I do have a survivor, this C. pyramidalis (which might be Budda's Temple) has lost its main stem has died but it looks like I've managed to save some bits that are still alive.
Crassula pyramidalis
Crassula pyramidalis