May 2017 - May Blossom
Diane
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: March 2021 - Neglected, forlorn

Post by Diane »

That’s definitely ‘Buddha’s Temple’, Jim.
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

Jim_Mercer wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:42 pm
MatDz wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:54 am Any idea why C. pyramidalis & Co. do that? I try to not overwater, but water enough, keep them in a nice, gritty mix with some water retentive Sanicat in, and still, one day, they decide to go all crispy like yours. I think they just like doing so.
All I can say is they usually die for me but I do have a survivor, this C. pyramidalis (which might be Budda's Temple) has lost its main stem has died but it looks like I've managed to save some bits that are still alive.

web-1830.jpg
As Diane wrote, that would be 'Buddha's Temple', and the one I have, touch wood, is doing much better than the few C. pyramidalis I have. I just took some cuttings, so hopefully I will have spares, but it is uttermost annoying to see them all die like that.
Mat
HaoBao
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District

Post by HaoBao »

It would be good to see what people do to keep them alive and grow them well. Soil, water, location, temperature, light etc.. I really like the weird crassula but they just want to die
Plant sales: www.CentralSucculents.etsy.com
Instagram: www.instagram.com/CentralSucculents
Reddit: www.reddit.com/u/CentralSucculents

All my plants are kept indoors and I started collecting in August 2018. Favourites are Pachyphytum, Echeveria, Haworthia, Mesembs and oddball Cacti.
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Diane wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:49 pm That’s definitely ‘Buddha’s Temple’, Jim.
That was on the label in the pot but I wasn't sure which plant the rescued bits had come from
HaoBao wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:04 pm It would be good to see what people do to keep them alive and grow them well. Soil, water, location, temperature, light etc.. I really like the weird crassula but they just want to die
All I know is leaving them on the top shelf without water is not a good idea, will give survivor a more shaded spot but cannot guarantee water
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

Jim_Mercer wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:15 pm All I know is leaving them on the top shelf without water is not a good idea, will give survivor a more shaded spot but cannot guarantee water
One step at a time, right? :mrgreen:
Mat
Pattock
BCSS Member

Post by Pattock »

My Echinopsis terscheckii is looking a bit under the weather today. Should I bring it inside? I don't think it is fully hardy in Manchester.
Echinopsis.JPG
Asclepiomaniac. Armchair ethnobotanist.
Occasional, eclectic blogger:
http://pattheplants.blogspot.com/
Pattock
BCSS Member

Post by Pattock »

My actual entry. Dracaena draco from La Gomera. Seedling won at Manchester branch six years ago. The poor thing has not been getting enough sunlight this winter as I neglected to cut back the overenthusiastic Alpinia formosana that filled a lot of the window. You can see the new growth is distinctly paler. My excuse was that I didn't want to disturb the Stephanotis floribunda that is intertwined with them. I have now hacked down a lot of the Alpinia and really intend to wash the window now I can get to it.
Dracaena 1.JPG
Considering it is an east-facing window in Manchester, it doesn't seem too unhappy.
Dracaena 2.JPG
fero
BCSS Member

Post by fero »

Nice draco Pat
I've managed to lose two even in my Polly tunnel.
The temps hit 0c and they just went to mush, I'll be more careful if I have one again.
Pattock
BCSS Member

Post by Pattock »

fero wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:57 pm Nice draco Pat
I've managed to lose two even in my Polly tunnel.
The temps hit 0c and they just went to mush, I'll be more careful if I have one again.
I don't think that windowsill has got below 16°C except once when the battery ran out in the central heating thermostat. Luckily the nextdoor neighbours like their heating so it didn't go much lower.
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Jim_Mercer »

This Kalanchoe tomentosa looked slightly better before I moved it so that I could photograph it with a black background as the top growth appeared to be upright but in reality it was being supported by the glass it was leaning on. A couple of leaves that dropped off are trying to produce new plants
Kalanchoe tomentosa
Kalanchoe tomentosa
Edit, just taken photograph to show new plants on fallen leaves
Kalanchoe tomentosa
Kalanchoe tomentosa