May 2021 - any cactus or succulent growing outdoors in pleasing to the eye surroundings

May 2017 - May Blossom
Ernie
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: TEESSIDE
Role within the BCSS: Member

May 2021 - any cactus or succulent growing outdoors in pleasing to the eye surroundings

Post by Ernie »

To many it wont come as a surprise that I chosen the topic given my love of nice pots. We may get our President to enter :grin: I am looking for a photograph where the pot complements the plant and vice versa but where the plant is the main focus of attention. The plant must be growing in the pot shown ie no fancy pot holders!
Come on Colin you have many to display!
Last edited by Tony R on Sat May 01, 2021 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'Eternity is but a a brief moment away'
Ernie
BCSS Member

Re: May- any cacti or succulent growing in a coloured/decorative pot

Post by Ernie »

Thanks Tony- old age is my excuse!
Ernie
BCSS Member

Re: May- any cacti or succulent growing in a coloured/decorative pot

Post by Ernie »

Heres my Aeonium leucoblepharum as an example. Growing in a ceramic pot.
P1010638.JPG
Ernie
BCSS Member

Post by Ernie »

Seems as though I may have chosen a subject that is of no interest to anyone other than those who are creative/artistic and think out of the box.
Okay, for the masses, a change of subject.
A photograph of any cactus or succulent growing outdoors in pleasing to the eye surroundings.

BTW I live in hope that one day we may go the American way and have plants judged with pots!! Our Chair is trying to get some changes to the way we do things.(for the better!
edds
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: May 2021 - any cactus or succulent growing outdoors in pleasing to the eye surroundings

Post by edds »

I am readying a couple of plants for your first choice of topic Ernie, they just need a couple more weeks to look a bit better. As it happens I've moved them outside so they will fit the new choice too!
Ed

BCSS member 53038
fero
BCSS Member

Re: May 2021 - any cactus or succulent growing outdoors in pleasing to the eye surroundings

Post by fero »

You where on my radar , though the new one sounds good too,
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Jim_Mercer »

I thought I had plenty of plants for the original topic but on closer inspection they were mainly pot covers. I do have a few small plants in bonsai posts but they haven't had the required trims
small pots
small pots
There is one plant that I bought a tall pot for as this Portulacaria afra which always had lax growth, but soon after getting its new hone it produces a strong vertical stem and a bit difficult to get a good picture where it is and even more difficult to get it off the windowsill due to all the plants on the porch floor
tall pot
tall pot
I do have a couple of good bonsai pots but the contents really need replacing (too ashamed to take pictures of them)
I do have several Crassula sarcocaulis in plastic bonsai pots so was considering giving one of them a new home - they are growing outside but not sure the surroundings are pleasing to the eye surroundings, same with the sempervivums
outside
outside
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

Jim, could make 3-4 nice bonsai-ed P. afra out of that single stem! They might even look good potted together as a "forest style" (I'm sure there's a proper term for it) composition.
Mat
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Jim_Mercer »

MatDz wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 1:30 pm Jim, could make 3-4 nice bonsai-ed P. afra out of that single stem! They might even look good potted together as a "forest style" (I'm sure there's a proper term for it) composition.
I did try that with some cuttings from another plant but it didn't really work especially as one of the plants decided to die. What I did find today while looking out of a window at the rain that on the windowsill were a few proper bonsai pots with some Crassula ovatas that had been trimmed last year. Unfortunately I then noticed the dreaded white fluff from mealy bugs so they have just been sprayed with SB plant invigorator
fero
BCSS Member

Post by fero »

I think it is some form of filifera . Been outside for ten years or so
IMG_20210522_153755367~2.jpg