June 2021 - GotM - Aeonium

January 2017 - Genus of the Month - Lepismium
Phil_SK
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

June 2021 - GotM - Aeonium

Post by Phil_SK »

Aeonium davidbramwellii is the Society's Plant of the Month https://www.society.bcss.org.uk/index.php/jun-2021.html
Are you growing any Aeonium? Or do you have any thoughts or questions about them even if you don't grow them?
:chat: :chat:
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: June 2020 - GotM - Aeonium

Post by el48tel »

I have a few Aeoniums. My daughter introduced me to them because "they have architectural qualities".
The fact that they stand in sunshine all of the day, got me to ask the questions about their construction. And of course, many of the coveted hybrids change colour from winter to summer. They must be able to reflect energy in the Infrared. So I put that to the test.
Here are two pictures of Aeonium corner in my GH. This first image is in the visible part of the spectrum.
_DSF3247.jpg
You can see the usual light and dark markings on the plants, particularly of the hybrids.
_DSF3248.jpg
Notice in this near IR reflectance image how white the plants look. That's pure IR (heat) reflected from the plants.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Pattock
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Pattock »

The name Aeonium (originally Æonium) derives from the ancient Greek word αἰώνιον (aionion) meaning a thing "lasting for an Age", "perpetual" or "eternal". This is from the same word αἰών (aion) as our English word aeon, meaning an era, age, duration of the world, eternity or an immeasurable time.
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/res ... lang=greek

The tree houseleek, as it has been called in English since at least 1611. They were originally included in the genus Sempervivum, like the small houseleeks.

The name in the Canary Islands was Berode or Verode, the same as Kleinia neriifolia. Except for on La Palma, where Aeonium was Bejeque or Beheque.

The intial description of the genus, in Latin in 1840 by Philip Barker-Webb and Sabin Berthelot:
https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/ite ... 6/mode/1up

The pictures from that same publication, though they had forgotten to change the name from Sempervivum on many of the plates:
https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/ite ... 7/mode/1up
Asclepiomaniac. Armchair ethnobotanist.
Occasional, eclectic blogger:
http://pattheplants.blogspot.com/
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

Now you're talking! My first succulent was a Zwartkop and I still have it (after a few cuttings etc.)
This is what it and some of its offspring look like this year,
Aeonium 'Zwartkop'
Aeonium 'Zwartkop'
I love how well most of them do outside for the summer though I do have to keep the vine weevil treatments going!
Aeonium steps
Aeonium steps
Some of the newer ones are a bit more spoilt so I can bring them in if the weather gets bad,
Specials
Specials
My davidbramwelli are a little smaller than Colin's currently,
Aeonium davidbramwelli
Aeonium davidbramwelli
Ed

BCSS member 53038
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

Interesting stuff with those pictures Terry!
Ed

BCSS member 53038
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

edds wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:51 pm Interesting stuff with those pictures Terry!
Thanks Ed. Work in progress. As is the time lapse video.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Jim_Mercer »

I've got a black aeonium struggling to grow amongst the other plants in my porch but no chance of a clear photograph. The only other plant I have that I think is an Aeonium is the one pictured below. No label in the pot but looking at my old name database it might be Aeonium decorum ssp mascaensis as it doesn't look like any of the other aeoniums I used to have
web-2278.jpg
web-2281.jpg
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

I’ve only got 3 Aeoniums, pictured below
468C3821-376E-4A61-9FAE-77F79FF88363.jpeg
Zwartkop at the back and a variegated haworthii front left, I don’t have a name for front right, any ideas? It’s much more green when not in full sun, smaller heads than zwartkop.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

I'd say your other one looks like A.arboreum atropurpureum but there are a lot of dark leaved hybrids so it would be almost impossible to say for sure.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

Thanks Ed, that seems like a good suggestion.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias