An Introduction

New members, please take the time to introduce yourself and your collection.
TomInTucson
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

An Introduction

Post by TomInTucson »

I've been curious about cacti since I was 7. My first interaction with a cactus was removing a fallen joint of Cylindropuntia bigelovii from my mom's heel in the vicinity of Needles California (during our move from Tulsa to Los Angeles) because I insisted they let me stop and collect one. After that painful incident she bought me a skinny cactus that looked a lot like a Selenicereus. Lately I've been concentrating on growing the cacti native to the Chihuahuan and Sonoran deserts.

Recently I've been growing seeds of just about everything except cycads (they're next), and I'm growing quite a few seedlings (more than I need). Warning: this part of plant collecting is very habit forming (addictive).
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: An Introduction

Post by el48tel »

welcome to the forum
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Post by Stuart »

Welcome to the forum, not sure if the Tucson Cactus meetings have started after the events of the past eighteen months but they're well worth a visit. Last time I was there there were about 300 people there which is ten times the amount at an average UK meeting. You've also got the best cactus nursery in the US only a few miles away.

Stuart
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

Welcome to the Forum Tom.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Paul in Essex »

Stuart wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:50 pm You've also got the best cactus nursery in the US only a few miles away.
Hi! Also the best agave nursery - Greg Starr's place. He is imo the world's leading agave expert currently.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
TomInTucson
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by TomInTucson »

Paul, you're correct about Greg's expertise, and he's a really nice guy. I have purchased many rare plants from him that you'd be hard pressed to find anywhere else.