Opuntia cylindrica cristata minor

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Zigs
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: DUBLIN

Opuntia cylindrica cristata minor

Post by Zigs »

Bought a plant from the garden centre in Canterbury a few months back. Been looking for information on it but only coming across websites with people selling it under various names like "Angel wings".
DSC09250 (2).JPG
I was beginning to think it was a name made up by recent sellers until I found it listed by Abbey Brook Nursery in 1967 for 3 shillings :grin:

Anyone know anything about it? I'm after height and hardyness mainly.
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: EDENBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Opuntia cylindrica cristata minor

Post by habanerocat »

The non cristate form is not frost hardy but ok down to 0 to 2 deg C when dry. If that's any help. I lost mine to frost. The cristate variety obviously don't grow very tall at all.
Zigs
BCSS Member
Branch: DUBLIN

Re: Opuntia cylindrica cristata minor

Post by Zigs »

habanerocat wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:47 am The non cristate form is not frost hardy but ok down to 0 to 2 deg C when dry. If that's any help. I lost mine to frost. The cristate variety obviously don't grow very tall at all.
Thank you Habanerocat :smile:

I'll give mine some extra protection, it's with the rest of the Opuntias at the moment.