https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: December 2021 D is for ...

Post by el48tel »

m-duwei.jpg
Mammillaria duwei

D is for duwei
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Rebutia xanthocarpa v dasyphrisa.jpg
Rebutia xanthocarpa v dasyphrisa

D is for dasyphrisa
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

If I were going for the plant that I’d most like, Juster’s Dudleya would be the winner. So easy to damage the wax coating, but this looks pristine.

Paul’s Dasylirion would make a welcome substitute, if on offer - though I don’t know where I’d find the space for it.

Several good photos of flowers from el48tel, and I particularly like the Mamm duwei, it really sums up the plant. I’m puzzled by the Echinocereus salm-dyckianus PB3286 Maycoba Yecora CHILE. That seems a long way south of its usual distribution. I’ve made my decision, though, not on the plant (though definitely desirable) but on the photograph, so my winner is the Pachypodium densiflorum. I love the pattern of the leaves, and there’s great depth of field (stacking?). So well done for ending the year on a high, and over to you to start us of in 2022.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Mike

Echinocereus salm-dyckianus PB3286 Maycoba Yecora CHILE was on the label of the plant bought from Peter Berrisford at a Branch meeting, but I remember not when or where. Yes the Pachypodium densiflorum photo was stacked. I too love the texture and pattern in the leaves.

Thank you for awarding the image "winner" for December 2021.
I'll get my thinking cap out of the cupboard, and try to come up with a worthy title for January 2022.
Pattock
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Pattock »

el48tel wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:56 pm Echinocereus salm-dyckianus PB3286 Maycoba Yecora CHILE was on the label of the plant bought from Peter Berrisford at a Branch meeting, but I remember not when or where.
The two towns are found in Sonora, Mexico, 26 km apart. Presumably the cactus was found on the road between them, Federal Highway 16. Maycoba is also spelt Maicoba.
"The principal Pima community in Sonora is in Maycoba, with other communities in Yécora...".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonora
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y%C3%A9cora,_Sonora
Asclepiomaniac. Armchair ethnobotanist.
Occasional, eclectic blogger:
http://pattheplants.blogspot.com/
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Thank you for the information.
I couldn't comment on your hypothesis.
I bought the plant .... not the label.