BCSS Seed List December 2021

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
el48tel
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: BCSS Seed List December 2021

Post by el48tel »

I have used IBAN many years ago when my son lived in NZ. It was certainly not a cheap service. And don't assume that using a bank with international in its sales spiel will be any cheaper or easier. For example, HSBC (other banks are available) may be international but each country HSBC is managed autonomously and almost independently. BEWARE.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by esp »

Aiko wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:42 pm It should be free of charge and should make international bank transfers easier. That is why they have initiated IBAN a few years back in the first place, for as far as I can tell. I have never needed to paid for bank transfers paying internationally (well, within EU anyway).
~
Euro to Euro transactions may well be free or cheap.
I typically pay several pounds per transaction to send or receive money.
There are various on-line money transfer services who can act as an intermediary and do this cheaper.
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Aiko »

esp wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:46 pm
Aiko wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:42 pm It should be free of charge and should make international bank transfers easier. That is why they have initiated IBAN a few years back in the first place, for as far as I can tell. I have never needed to paid for bank transfers paying internationally (well, within EU anyway).
~
Euro to Euro transactions may well be free or cheap.
I typically pay several pounds per transaction to send or receive money.
There are various on-line money transfer services who can act as an intermediary and do this cheaper.
I have done euro to Swedish krona and euro to Czech kroner / koruna. But maybe this is an EU thingy again.
cactusK
Registered Guest

Post by cactusK »

My journal and seedlist arrived today. I liked the selection of seeds; it's good to see lots of different succulent genera again.
Cidermanrolls
BCSS Member
Branch: LINCOLN

Post by Cidermanrolls »

I had to pay hefty charges when IBANing to Italy, when UK was still in EU.
Not buying plants, a replacement motor for my apple pulper (the cider part of my pseudonym)
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

And is the exchange rate reasonable for countries that still do not use the Euro?

Anyway, for whatever reason, it is expensive here.
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

ralphrmartin wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:15 pm
Even to countries that still do not use the Euro? And is the exchange rate reasonable?
For me, yes. Although I have used it to pay internationally only a handful times, just four countries and three currencies. For Sweden, France, Spain and the Czech Republic I did not had to pay extra. I can't recall if I had paid in euro or in kroner (for Sweden) and koruna (for Czech Republic). I think at least in one occasions I paid in the local currency. No idea about the exchange rate. Probably about the same as for paypal.

I have just used the IBAN number, have never used the BIC / swift code. I don't pay via the bank office, but online via the web page of the bank (ING in my case). Maybe there are additional fees in place if you go to a bank office?
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by esp »

I've get questions on a couple of names on the list:

1. Can anyone tell me more about Namaquanthus vanheerdii?
There's precious little practical info on the web. It seems to be a valid species with few if any synonyms.
It seems to be a nice, miniature shrub - the only cultivation info I could find was giromagi says it's a winter grower and recommends 8c minimum over winter - which seems rather warm!

2. Is Bulbine fruticosa merely a transcription error for B. frutescens? I can't fine reference to it being a valid name, although the name does pop up here and there, including in the Koehres seedlist.
Actually, this inquiry is carried over from last year, I have "fruticosa" seedlings which look like B. frutescens from last year's BCSS list. They are nice tidy clumps with straight, narrow succulent leaves, but no flowers yet. I assume it should be fine in an unheated greenhouse unless we have a very severe winter.
Pattock
Registered Guest

Post by Pattock »

esp wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:47 pm I've get questions on a couple of names on the list:

1. Can anyone tell me more about Namaquanthus vanheerdii?

2. Is Bulbine fruticosa merely a transcription error for B. frutescens?

Perhaps search for Namaquanthus vanheerdei as well? That is the spelling POWO has. https://succulentguide.com/cactus/?genu ... vanheerdei

The Latin fruticosa means shrubby, usually meaning a woody shrub. Is your Bulbine a shrub?
Asclepiomaniac. Armchair ethnobotanist.
Occasional, eclectic blogger:
http://pattheplants.blogspot.com/
Hedge
BCSS Member

Post by Hedge »

Any idea when the Swedes will get their magazine? We are now only getting alternate day deliveries of post ie M W F T T in any fortnight. The list becomes a total lottery at this point. I went for the pot luck selection last time I bothered and I still possess a cheque book (sonewhere).
Heather aka Hedge
.......you can grow a hedge that is vertically straight over ten feet tall (Alan Parsons Project)

Find me on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Hedge.59

BCSS47069