BCSS Seed List December 2021

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Nick
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: EDINBURGH
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Re: BCSS Seed List December 2021

Post by Nick »

Snail-mail and cheque or postal order - just wow 🙄
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by esp »

Hedge wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:20 pm Any idea when the Swedes will get their magazine? We are now only getting alternate day deliveries of post ie M W F T T in any fortnight. The list becomes a total lottery at this point. I went for the pot luck selection last time I bothered and I still possess a cheque book (sonewhere).
Unfortunately the list states:

Overseas members please note:
WE ARE CURRENTLY UNABLE TO DISPATCH SEEDS OVERSEAS.
We will investigate the possibility of European distribution next year.
Mike P
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Mike P »

I rather enjoy writing cheques and, as it’s becoming a rare pastime, relish the opportunity afforded by the seed list! I notice there is a decided lack of challenging Opuntia seed this year…luckily I ordered a few from elsewhere.
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Mike P wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:10 am I rather enjoy writing cheques and, as it’s becoming a rare pastime, relish the opportunity afforded by the seed list! ............
(tu)
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Ross M
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Ross M »

ralphrmartin wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:15 pm
Aiko wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:42 pm It should be free of charge and should make international bank transfers easier. That is why they have initiated IBAN a few years back in the first place, for as far as I can tell. I have never needed to paid for bank transfers paying internationally (well, within EU anyway).
And is the exchange rate reasonable for countries that still do not use the Euro?

Anyway, for whatever reason, it is expensive here.
I've used it a couple of times last year Ralph and on both occasions there were no charges. I wonder if it has something to do with individual banks or us not being in the EU anymore?
Ross

Dunbar, SE Scotland.
BCSS member #46264 (originally joined 1983).
Growing cacti since 1978, with a particular interest in Sulcorebutia and Rebutia.

esp
BCSS Member

Post by esp »

Ross M wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:12 pm
Aiko wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:42 pm It should be free of charge and should make international bank transfers easier. That is why they have initiated IBAN a few years back in the first place, for as far as I can tell. I have never needed to paid for bank transfers paying internationally (well, within EU anyway).
And is the exchange rate reasonable for countries that still do not use the Euro?

I've used it a couple of times last year Ralph and on both occasions there were no charges. I wonder if it has something to do with individual banks or us not being in the EU anymore?
It's possible the recipient is being hit with charges. Typically a several pounds whenever I get paid for a work contract from abroad.
Ross M
BCSS Member

Post by Ross M »

esp wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:51 pm
Ross M wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:12 pm

It's possible the recipient is being hit with charges. Typically a several pounds whenever I get paid for a work contract from abroad.
I checked before sending and it was free at both ends. There was a choice of service, a fast one that you paid for and a free one that took a couple of days.
Ross

Dunbar, SE Scotland.
Growing cacti since 1978, with a particular interest in Sulcorebutia and Rebutia.

esp
BCSS Member

Post by esp »

Further to my previous post, I've now stumbled upon last years seed order form on the website:

https://www.society.bcss.org.uk/images/ ... 6FINAL.pdf

So for greater completeness, here are the other links again.

https://society.bcss.org.uk/index.php/s ... -2019.html
https://society.bcss.org.uk/index.php/s ... -2018.html

Presumably the Dec 2019 list is around somewhere, but I can't find it.
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

Thanks for that info Ross. What bank are you with? Not that I am likely to order much C&S related stuff from overseas any more...
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
Ross M
BCSS Member

Post by Ross M »

ralphrmartin wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:33 pm Thanks for that info Ross. What bank are you with? Not that I am likely to order much C&S related stuff from overseas any more...
I'm with the Royal Bank of Scotland Ralph
Ross

Dunbar, SE Scotland.