BCSS Seed List December 2021

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
esp
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District
Role within the BCSS: Member

BCSS Seed List December 2021

Post by esp »

My Cactus World and seed list arrived today. Good to be an early recipient this year, after last year's wait.

Lots to choose from!
Maybe I'll get some Aloe polyphylla I missed out on last year :smile:
MatDz
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: BCSS Seed List December 2021

Post by MatDz »

Good call, I just realised I won't see my issue until about mid-January, is there a digital version in circulation as well?
Mat
lizholt
BCSS Member
Branch: WOKING

Post by lizholt »

Well I wanted to order some seeds from the list but only to find that the only 2 methods of payment acceptable are cheques or postal orders.
Do any banks even issue cheque books these days? I dont have a cheque book.
Also with the diminishing post offices, it would be difficult to find somewhere to buy a postal order. I also read online that you can only buy postal orders with cash. I never even handle cash these days.
I dont want to be harsh but, come on, there must be a way that people can pay by paypal, and surely easier
to manage than cheques and postal orders.
I dont think I will be ordering seed because I wont have a payment method.
If the MSG group can manage this then I am sure that the BCSS can sort this out in an easier and more efficient manner.
Rich66
BCSS Member

Post by Rich66 »

I totally agree. No one has cheque books these days or postal orders. Hopefully this can be sorted out so we can pay by PayPal in future. Bit disappointed that there is no Parodia Ritteri seeds. I’ve been struggling to find this plant or seeds for ages now.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

1 annoyed my magazine and the seeds list have not plopped through the letter box flap .... and probably won't do so for days.
2 smug that when it does ..... I'm in possession of an old fashioned bank account which issues cheque books ... which .... because I'm old fashioned too..... I continue to use.
3 I probably have sufficient home collected seeds from my hybrids project that I might not need to purchase ..... especially if there's nothing which entices me.

The old ways often have their uses. Don't knock them if you don't have a viable alternative.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Cidermanrolls
BCSS Member
Branch: LINCOLN

Post by Cidermanrolls »

I’ve just discovered I’m a no-one.

There are two things certain in life.
1. My attempts at raising Strombocactus seeds will fail
2. In early December people will moan and groan about the seed distribution

I’ve not ordered the Strombocactus seeds this time. Can the moaners keep it to themselves this year and take me to a zero out of two, please.

The distribution is run by volunteers. They know things aren’t perfect. Your moaning must be very disheartening.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Cidermanrolls wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:54 pm I’ve just discovered I’m a no-one.

There are two things certain in life.
1. My attempts at raising Strombocactus seeds will fail
2. In early December people will moan and groan about the seed distribution

I’ve not ordered the Strombocactus seeds this time. Can the moaners keep it to themselves this year and take me to a zero out of two, please.

The distribution is run by volunteers. They know things aren’t perfect. Your moaning must be very disheartening.
I'm with you on this. Usually the biggest moaners are those who give the least but want to take the most. I'd not find it easy to count Lithops and similar dust like seeds. I take my hat off to the dedicated team who selflessly do this and other Society jobs unpaid ... often for little thanks and more often for unjustified negative comments and complaints.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Pattock
BCSS Member

Post by Pattock »

Perhaps the people complaining about moaners could be as polite and reasonable as lizholt, whose remarks were perfectly understandable for someone who joined the forum in March. Rich66 joined the forum in July and was also making some reasonable and polite points.

Perhaps I might suggest to Cidermanrolls and el48tel that:

a) you address people directly and politely and do not use derogatory terms like moaners.

b) you refer those queries to previous threads about the seed list problems, like last year's vigorous discussion where the President was one of those on the side of change:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=170936&start=10

c) you carry on lauding the great volunteers who do such wonderful work every year for just a few thanks. :notwo:

d) you suggest to those who want change that they could volunteer to help with the present system and learn how it works. Perhaps, after learning that system, they will be able to suggest helpful additions to the process. New volunteers will always be needed.

I doubt there will be anything on the seed list to tempt me to risk a Post Office this year despite being threefold vaccinated but you never know.
Asclepiomaniac. Armchair ethnobotanist.
Occasional, eclectic blogger:
http://pattheplants.blogspot.com/
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District

Post by esp »

Rich66 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:16 pm Bit disappointed that there is no Parodia Ritteri seeds. I’ve been struggling to find this plant or seeds for ages now.
FWIW, Koehres currently list seed of this species. They are quick to send out orders and take paypal!

I agree with the views expressed:
- a paypal payment option seems overdue (my last 3 cheques written have been for BCSS seeds, I now only have 1 cheque left)
- many thanks are due to the volunteers who provide/source and distribute such a diverse and attractively priced seed offering
- I also thought about giving Strombocactus another go, and also decided not too :|
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

I haven't used a cheque since the middle of the nineties. As of 1 January earlier this year the cheque has been discontinued as being a valid form of payment up here in the Netherlands.

For national payment transfers we use the IBAN bank transfers, which also serves well for international payments within Europe. I can't recall ever having been given the option to pay via IBAN when I had to transfer money to the UK (only paypal). You people don't have IBAN in place up there in the UK?